Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

My first shots on Manual Mode
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax KX Photo Location: Reef Tank ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

The first IMG(#9251) The actual Shutter speed was 1/100 sec with a focal length at 48mm.
The second IMG(#9245) The actual Shutter speed was 1/100 sec with an ISO at 400 and focal length at 48mm.
The Third picture IMG(#9233) The actual Shutter speed was 1/160 sec with a focal length at 50mm.

How I did? I am also looking for ways to get M shots of corals with the 18-55mm lens. Also are there any free IMG programs I can play with? What kind of changes should I look for when editing images.

---------- Post added 10-06-15 at 09:41 AM ----------

CORRECTION!! The camera is a Pentax Kx Digital! Not a KX

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

Nice work. I sense these would be difficult subjects due to low light and movement. There are several free image editing programs, Picassa, Gimp, Fasttone among others. Computer operating systems often have a basic photo editor built in as do some office suites. Camera manufacturers also often supply software eg Pentax Silkypix. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I won't recommend any of them as I rarely if ever use them. I do most of my work in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop elements.

Changes when editing.

A broad subject but I can list a few of the basic things I look for in my photographs.

Selection. Pick the good from the bad. It is often possible to 'fix' an over or under exposed image but nothing can be done to fix a photograph that is out of focus.

Composition, cropping, removal of distractions, spot removal, horizon levelling, lens distortion

Lighting, Colour correction. exposure, contrast, adjusting highlight and shadow areas, colour saturation

Finishing, Noise reduction, sharpening, other effects such as borders or vignettes

There is much more that can be do to improve an image. There are some photographers who specialize in getting things right in camera. To a certain extent I believe it is best to get things as good as possible in camera but there is nearly always a need to edit your photos to some degree.

For example I have taken the liberty to adjust you lower photograph. It may not be to your taste but I include it an as example of what cane be done.

Good luck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo