Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Trail Blaze Post
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 1:1.8 50mm Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Soldiers Delight Natural Environmental Area ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F7.1 

Just looking for feedback

Last edited by theniall; 10-18-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Title update
10-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photo is way too busy in my opinion, as the tall grass in the front takes away from any remaining compositional merit. I would aim for 3 layers (foreground, middle, sky) and a clear subject and I think this could work, especially in black and white.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
My intention was to make the trail blaze the foreground focus. Would you have a suggestion on how to remove focus from the tall grass without removing the grass itself?

Last edited by theniall; 10-18-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Included updated photo
10-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This one is neat to study! Personally, I think you're most of the way there: maybe try a 9/16 crop that cuts off all but a sliver of sky above the far tree-line. I also think that if you could "pop" both the post and the "arrowhead" of dried grass pointing toward the right side of the frame, there's a natural congruence of triangles--the wedge of dark grass in the foreground, the trail sign itself, then that wedge I mentioned earlier with its apex to the left.

Of course, there's a world of options when it comes to "popping"--you could push curves (ideally, selectively), but I'd also think about what this one would look like with a bit of color, split-tone if you're set on a monochrome treatment, but also perhaps a desaturated color palette would do the trick as well to set up a contrast between the geometric shapes.