Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #1

Evening on Bandon beach
Lens: Pentax HD Ltd 20-40 Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Bandon, OR ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F8 

Captured last month on a road trip, I stayed in Bandon, OR for the night at a simple but beautifully located motel and this was the view from the room's backyard.

10-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd fix the horizon (left lower than right) and crop the top to the first bright pink cloud (about an inch) and the bottom to eliminate the very nearest bush in bottom left, leaving just a couple small bumps of green to contrast with the gold. I don't think id keep any of the right 1/3. empty space past the rocks isn't doing much for me. (about where outlet streams meets ocean would be my right border)

I personally would probably add a gradient overlay of about 15-20% to the sky to really make it pop in pp and adjust black levels by maybe 1%, but that is personal taste and style

Last edited by nomadkng; 10-21-2015 at 10:27 AM.
10-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I'd fix the horizon (left lower than right) and crop the top to the first bright pink cloud (about an inch) and the bottom to eliminate the very nearest bush in bottom left, leaving just a couple small bumps of green to contrast with the gold. I don't think id keep any of the right 1/3. empty space past the rocks isn't doing much for me. (about where outlet streams meets ocean would be my right border)
Thanks for the comment, the horizon is straight as far as I can see (and the ruler agrees with me ), I've already cropped the top and bottom - I don't want to end up with a tiny horizontal strip and I like the sides of the image too much to crop there as well.

Edit: I checked the horizon once more and I think you're right it is tilted a little bit to the left.
10-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Great photo; I really like the way that lens renders colors. To nomadkng's point, it does give the impression of being slanted but when I checked it, it looked level. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Overall, great photo and I love the colors/exposure and wouldn't change either. If I were posting it, the horizon line would bother me though. That's my only comment. It definitely comes off as slanted even though it isn't.

10-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
Great photo; I really like the way that lens renders colors. To nomadkng's point, it does give the impression of being slanted but when I checked it, it looked level. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Overall, great photo and I love the colors/exposure and wouldn't change either. If I were posting it, the horizon line would bother me though. That's my only comment. It definitely comes off as slanted even though it isn't.
Thanks, I admit i stopped checking the horizon since I rely on the K5IIs internal level indicator (and I take most of my pictures from a tripod). I think the distortion correction may have played a role in the horizon here. I'll take a look at it over the weekend.
10-23-2019, 01:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
Captured last month on a road trip, I stayed in Bandon, OR for the night at a simple but beautifully located motel and this was the view from the room's backyard.
very nice colors, soft