Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Baby on a Park Bench
Lens: Sigma 18-35 Art 1.8 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Salt Lake City, UT ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F2 

10-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
outdoor, F2, iso 400, and only 1/80. must be a dark day.
cute kid. try to get him looking at the camera next time.
10-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crop the top of the photo about where the where red wall or fence is.
Crop an equal amount at the bottom of the photo. That'll throw away distracting and unneeded space and you'll end up with a nice pleasant family type photo where the boy stands out.
10-26-2015, 01:32 AM   #4

Overall, a good photo, well focused. I have to disagree with the suggestion of asking the child to look at the camera. I think your take is more natural. I have tried to improve it by correcting the tilt and putting some grad filters to darken the foreground. It looked a bit overexposed as well but I'm not so sure about this because I'm not using my usual computer screen.

Attached Images

10-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
outdoor, F2, iso 400, and only 1/80. must be a dark day.
cute kid. try to get him looking at the camera next time.
Thank you for the response and compliment . It was dark - close to 8 PM. My son being restless I usually use Aperture Priority mode. I actually have a shot of him looking at the camera but I liked this more(looking at his mom) :P

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
Overall, a good photo, well focused. I have to disagree with the suggestion of asking the child to look at the camera. I think your take is more natural. I have tried to improve it by correcting the tilt and putting some grad filters to darken the foreground. It looked a bit overexposed as well but I'm not so sure about this because I'm not using my usual computer screen.
Thanks for response and editing the pic. Exposure - It was my fault. I gave it 0.85 boost in LR as it looked a little dark. Still a novice at LR and of course photography. I am bit curious on how to decided a proper exposure boost or say a pic is overexposed?
10-27-2015, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pingu Quote
Thanks for response and editing the pic. Exposure - It was my fault. I gave it 0.85 boost in LR as it looked a little dark. Still a novice at LR and of course photography. I am bit curious on how to decided a proper exposure boost or say a pic is overexposed?
Unfortunately, the perception of exposure also depends on the brightness of your computer screen. To me, the real test is how a pic appears on print. I know that with my settings, I have to slightly overexpose on screen to get it right on prints. It is a good idea to work in a room under relatively constant ambient lighting so that you don't have to change the screen brightness. Looking at the same pic on different computer screens will tell you about your screen settings. For your image, I would say the exposure has to be tuned for the child's face to look as nice as possible.
10-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Good point. Thanks fg-one