Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Did I got the focus right?
Lens: Tamron 70-300 Di Macro Camera: k-5 IIs ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F6.3 

Aperture around f11 would be better ofcourse, but when I was shooting this plant I did not have a tripod with me unfortunately and I also wanted as less grain as possible and went for lower ISO. So we were discussing with my wife and could not come to a definite conclusion - did I got the focus right in this shot or didn't? What do you folks think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DoF is a very subjective thing. A short or long DoF is used to highlight parts of the shot, or the whole shot. You do make the choice. What you need to do is make sure the the out of focus section isn't too distracting if the in focus part is your subject.

In this shot I feel as though the out of focus part is distracting from a very sharp foreground. A dedicated macro lens may have a produced a softer out of focus section of the photo. With this particular subject a deeper DoF will give less distraction from the furtherest sections of the subject. Therefore a smaller aperture.

Hope this helps.
11-02-2015, 02:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Yes I agree with you. But in the same time this particular shot does not seem so bad either.
11-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with AussieTrev that DoF is very subjective. On one side, you have the focus-stacking type of people that want everything in focus and on the other side, you have the bokeh type that want as thin as possible DoF. Your image seems to sit in between. As I'm more of the bokeh type, this is typically a pic I would have taken using my f1.4 50 mm K lens focused on the tip of the front flowers at f2 to get a very blurry background or possibly even at f1.4 to get some kind of haze around the foreground flowers, but again, this is only my subjective view of it.