Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #1

Dry Creek foliage
Lens: Pentax HD Ltd. 20-40 Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Cascade Locks, OR ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F11 

I wanted to share and submit for CC a shot I took last weekend on a rainy hike in the Cascade Locks, OR up the Dry Creek Falls trail. Let me know what you think

11-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Beautiful country! Bear in mind that I have idiosyncratic tastes, but to my opinion you have two different (competing) subjects in the same frame ( 1.) the "arbor-scape" at the top and 2.) the creekbed in the lower half) that don't really complement one another. Since I think the trees are by far the most interesting part of the shot, I think I'd crop out the waterfall entirely, I.e. not too far down from the first plunge-pool on the right. That's almost a square crop that gives you one of those golden ratio spirals to move the eye around the frame (and of course, you could use various PP techniques to accentuate that.)

Otherwise, I'd be very curious as to how you approached exposing for this shot (assuming it isn't an exposure blend)--the lightest section up the valley seems spot-on and ethereal, and that's the part that usually gets away from me when I've attempted these kind of scenes.
11-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Beautiful country! Bear in mind that I have idiosyncratic tastes, but to my opinion you have two different (competing) subjects in the same frame ( 1.) the "arbor-scape" at the top and 2.) the creekbed in the lower half) that don't really complement one another. Since I think the trees are by far the most interesting part of the shot, I think I'd crop out the waterfall entirely, I.e. not too far down from the first plunge-pool on the right. That's almost a square crop that gives you one of those golden ratio spirals to move the eye around the frame (and of course, you could use various PP techniques to accentuate that.)

Otherwise, I'd be very curious as to how you approached exposing for this shot (assuming it isn't an exposure blend)--the lightest section up the valley seems spot-on and ethereal, and that's the part that usually gets away from me when I've attempted these kind of scenes.
Thank you for the comment - for me it's all about the water and the trees are a nice addition - so we have two polarizing views of this image
This is a single capture with a polarizing filter only - I didn't expose the shot in any special way - I believe I was simply in the right place at the right time, the rain and raising temperatures started to create the fog which you can see in the distance, that combined with the 100% cloud cover created this ethereal (like you've put it) light. I was very much focused on the stream and just liked the trees in the distance so decided to go vertical for this shot, I would go wider if I could but a 10-20mm lens is still on my "to-buy" list.
11-09-2015, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It is a beautiful image overall.
I wouldn't have thought about it, but CreationBear has an interesting point. I took the image and cut it in half (just about right across the center), and it does appear to succeed as two nice images. So, it looks like you've got a "3-in-1" image! Whole thing, top half, bottom half.

11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
with a polarizing filter only

Thanks for the "liner notes"--no need for anything other than a CPL here in my "temperate rainforest," either.
11-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I love the foreground and middle ground in this shot. The background seems to be less saturated and gets overwhelmed by the scene in front. Just my .02.
11-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
( 1.) the "arbor-scape" at the top and 2.) the creekbed in the lower half)
I agree with this part, but I don't see it as a negative. Sure, maybe part of it is that I see the image on a computer, where I scroll down and get a "bonus" and it might work differently on print. But I quite like it.
Its a forest photo, its dynamic, the water is nicely blurred and the rest is full of detail. Focus and DoF are great, its well-lit, with good colours. The forest is beautiful and so is the stream. Imo its a great photo, thanks for sharing
11-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #8

I like the soft mossy rocks left of centre, contrasting with the hard lines and vivid orange of the leaves diagonally below to the right, which themselves are complimented by the Autumn colours near the top of the picture.

It all comes together nicely among the green forest and white water.

Nice that nature ignores our photographic 'sensibilities'.

11-12-2015, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback! The fog that started to rise took some of the saturation from the background and I didn't want to boost it too much since the foreground was nice and lush green already. I love how this whole region stays mostly green throughout the year (all the moss and evergreen plants) with some nice fall colors addition here and there. Cannot wait for another hike this weekend (unless the rain will turn into a downpour).