Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Product photo attempt
Lens: DA 50 1.8 Camera: K-3 ISO: 100 Aperture: F6.3 

Hi!

This is my fisr shot at product photography (well, not really tbh). I needed to sell this Nikon, so I thought what the heck, let`s at least make it good-looking.

I don`t have any special studio gear, so I used window as a lightning source and a reflector as a counter.

What do you guys think?

Full size: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5778/22668969849_5266314534_o.jpg

11-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I saw this in an ad on my local Kijiji, I would have assumed they lifted the photo from the internet somewhere.

It does look like something funny happened to the mode dial though.
11-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the dial is a result of focus-stacking. A new technique to me, hence the error.
11-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quite nice, but if I saw this in an ad I would think it's taken from online.

11-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, what would you do to make it look less stock?
11-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm really not sure - sorry!
11-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That explains it. I see more artifacts now that I look closer. Good job on an early focus stacking attempt though. You may have done just as well to stop down some and go for one shot. At the typical web sizes, you can go pretty high before diffraction gets to be an issue. If you were stacking for the sake of trying it, that's cool too.

If this were alongside photos of a similar quality that were less generic (and I don't mean that as a bad thing) that showed off the different parts you have for sale, it would be more convincing that you took the photos (I'm talking from the context of someone viewing your ad, I certainly believe this is yours). Especially if you have detail shots showing off any flaws.

From the selling standpoint, it may also have been better to have this on white so it stands out more. As a buyer of a used item, I'm more interested in seeing the thing I'm about to purchase clearly than having my interest piqued with a little mystery like a typical magazine ad.

11-18-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

It is a perfect photograph of a camera but...

It looks too artistic for the purpose it was created for namely to entice someone to buy. The picture is simply too dark particularly with the black backdrop. Black backdrops against which items are photographed rarely lend themselves to showcase goods which are for sale and when part of the item is shaded it makes the prospective buyer subconsciously think there is something to hide. (Even though there isn't) Your photograph would be perfect for brand advertising but not for "Item for sale"

Your shot is perfect, just take it again against a light, preferably white, backdrop which then will also reflect some light back against the underside of the camera. I assume you have several other pics taken from different angles as well because people want to see as many details as possible. Also take at least one shot with items that are included with the sale which also has the benefit to make the sale less commercial looking. (As in private sale.)

Cheers
12-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kay350 Quote
Hi!

This is my fisr shot at product photography (well, not really tbh). I needed to sell this Nikon, so I thought what the heck, let`s at least make it good-looking.

I don`t have any special studio gear, so I used window as a lightning source and a reflector as a counter.

What do you guys think?

Full size: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5778/22668969849_5266314534_o.jpg
Have you sold this beautiful outfit? Thanks, Tonytee
12-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Have you sold this beautiful outfit? Thanks, Tonytee
No, and truth be told it's going to be a problem now. Certain somebody got their hands on it and tried to clean the sensor (which had 1 dust spec visible at f22),and now it's a total mess. I'm not even sure if the sensor is just dirty or worse... At least it's still pretty on the outside ;-)
12-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, and truth be told it's going to be a problem now. Certain somebody got their hands on it and tried to clean the sensor (which had 1 dust spec visible at f22),and now it's a total mess. I'm not even sure if the sensor is just dirty or worse... At least it's still pretty on the outside ;-)
You can still try to clean it. At worst, I would take it to a shop and they can analyze the issue and report any problems. You must have quite a lot of experience with product placement. A really excellent photo. Great job.

Thanks,

Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-09-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Additional Comment.
12-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can still try to clean it. At worst, I would take it to a shop and they can analyze the issue and report any problems. You must have quite a lot of experience with product placement. A really excellent photo. Great job.

Thanks,

Tonytee
Well, I am probably making a nuisance of myself, however, I believe you did a wonderful job here. This is so much better than many ads I have seen in trade journals and subscription issues. I like the black background because it truly brings forth the white lettering and numbers including the manufacturer's name and model number. You can also see the Fn button feature which allows for remote control and self timer. Obviously, the lens information is readily available for easy reading. I believe if you had gone with a white or yellow background, it would have reduced the integrity of the photo. The camera is the subject here and that is what you have made so perfectly clear. To recap, I would not change one iota or element on this photo. The more I study it, the more I am willing to open my wallet wider.
The only other thing I can say about your work is this; "Most Impressive."

Regards,

Tonytee
12-10-2015, 03:32 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I am probably making a nuisance of myself, however, I believe you did a wonderful job here. This is so much better than many ads I have seen in trade journals and subscription issues. I like the black background because it truly brings forth the white lettering and numbers including the manufacturer's name and model number. You can also see the Fn button feature which allows for remote control and self timer. Obviously, the lens information is readily available for easy reading. I believe if you had gone with a white or yellow background, it would have reduced the integrity of the photo. The camera is the subject here and that is what you have made so perfectly clear. To recap, I would not change one iota or element on this photo. The more I study it, the more I am willing to open my wallet wider.
The only other thing I can say about your work is this; "Most Impressive."

Regards,

Tonytee

Thank you for your kind words. Honestly, I have zero experience with product placement or product photography. And I`m really happy that you like the effect, given how unproffesional the setup for this photo was.

Fingers crossed, I`m going to try to repair the damage myself.
12-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for your kind words. Honestly, I have zero experience with product placement or product photography. And I`m really happy that you like the effect, given how unproffesional the setup for this photo was.

Fingers crossed, I`m going to try to repair the damage myself.
Do you still have this outfit? Please advise.

Thanks,

Tony
12-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you still have this outfit? Please advise.

Thanks,

Tony

Yes, I still have it.

Regards