Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Panning- Compormise between subject and background
Lens: DA10-17mm Camera: k5iis Photo Location: Ontario ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F16 

Looking for input on having a sharper subject vs. a more blurry background, which do you prefer?

It will depend somewhat on the size of the image, but even at this relatively low resolution details like the texture of the hat are visible in the two on the right, but not the left and that bothers my usual sharpness sensibilities. I have also included a closer crop for a better comparison of the detail (these aren't 100%).

Obviously, if the subject (me) was able to move more smoothly I could have the best of both worlds. I'm using standard panning techniques, the motion extends before and after the exposure, swiveling at the more stable hips, firing in bursts, etc., so I don't think I have much room for improvement without a ton of practice but I am relatively new to panning in general.

Cheating and making it a composite would be easy enough, but meh. One shot! I have also considered firing a snooted flash at my face to overlay a sharper exposure, I'll probably try this it I give it another go. Going whole hog into the realm of abstract blur is also another option.

I should also say I saw a similar photo done with a rifle in a hunting magazine and I'm doing my best to steal the concept.

Attached Images

11-17-2015, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

This promises to be an interesting discussion. We're discussing "sharpness" in an image of a chainsaw

In image #1, your eyes and hair are obviously blurred. It's an okay image if you want the subject to be *chainsaw*. If you want the subject to be *you* then you'll need to use #2 or #3.

At small display sizes like within this thread or a blog, I would use image #2 because of the background blur and your face is reasonably sharp. Image #3 is likely better for full screen display or printing due to the extra sharpness.
11-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate your input. Thanks!

I'll note that at the time of the photo it was actually a safety chainsaw, aka a chainless-saw
11-17-2015, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost all of photography is a compromise. With that in mind, I like you second exposure. Good blurring combined with sharpness of the subject.

11-17-2015, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

i would suggest that instead of making the exposure time longer, try to spin faster. also try to separate the background further from yourself, you'll get more effective blur that way
11-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Almost all of photography is a compromise. With that in mind, I like you second exposure. Good blurring combined with sharpness of the subject.
I totally agree about photography being a compromise - hearing other's preferences is what I'm after here, so I appreciate your input.

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i would suggest that instead of making the exposure time longer, try to spin faster. also try to separate the background further from yourself, you'll get more effective blur that way
Faster starts to get scary with the camera super-clamped to the end of the tool, but I'll try to give it a little more oomph next time.

Great point about the distance, and I think I could have done a better job choosing a background that shows streaks nicely. I've attached an earlier attempt (with hedge trimmers) where the background was significantly further away, and had some nice scattered bright areas that really streaked well. Less ground texture didn't do me any favours, and the camera was extended out further making me very blurry in almost all my attempts that day (this one was at 0.3 sec). I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I get time for round 3. Thank you!
Attached Images

11-17-2015, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like what you are doing here. Just wanted to chime in on that. Of the first photos, I think the middle one gives the best blend of sharpness while still giving the sense of motion. The hedge trimmer one is really cool. Man, I'm staying out of your backyard though

11-18-2015, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's important that the viewer can easily identify the surroundings - the forest that goes with the chaisaw. For that reason I think the first exposure is too long. The background is blurred beyond recognition.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I like what you are doing here. Just wanted to chime in on that. Of the first photos, I think the middle one gives the best blend of sharpness while still giving the sense of motion. The hedge trimmer one is really cool. Man, I'm staying out of your backyard though
Thanks! Unless you resemble a shrubbery, you'd be safe in my yard.

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I think it's important that the viewer can easily identify the surroundings - the forest that goes with the chaisaw. For that reason I think the first exposure is too long. The background is blurred beyond recognition.
Thanks for your input Anders
11-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yeah! I like the hedge-trimmer pic! You look dangerous!
11-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, here's one from the hedge trimmer day where I tried to look friendly. I think I ended up looking more dangerous

This one was also a lesson in the all seeing power of the da10-17mm...the camera strap was wrapped more securely in the later attempts.

The trimmers are longer and more difficult to keep me reasonably sharp (I can always position the camera a little closer to the handle). It may be worth practicing a little more.
Attached Images