Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Landscape Critique
Lens: DA 18-135mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Denali ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F10 

Hi just wanted some opinions for the photo attached. Composition, post processing etc

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It looks more like a mountain portrait than a landscape (sweeping vista, horizon, etc) to me. But I don't know much so take that with a grain of salt.
11-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love the mountains and that light patch of grass. The dark foreground is less appealing but not bad.
The river forming the lower left leading line is good but would be better coming right out of the corner. The road is interesting but too close to the edge of the frame. I can see how you were trying to get both the river and road in the frame but I'm not convinced that's working here due to their relative spacing. Maybe from a different spot or with a different FOV they would work better.
Exposure and focus both look great, at least at this size.

So I'd rate this as good. Composition in these kinds of places can be very challenging but I think a stronger composition could elevate this to very good or great.
11-19-2015, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It looks more like a mountain portrait than a landscape (sweeping vista, horizon, etc) to me. But I don't know much so take that with a grain of salt.
hey, your shots of that bucktoothed kid with the cat on his shoulder, and the girl with the cherry trees behind her, are some of the all-time greatest pics that i've ever seen posted out here!

you don't always hit home runs, but when you do, it goes waaay out of the park

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cxzj Quote
Hi just wanted some opinions for the photo attached. Composition, post processing etc
people argue about framing out here, but that varies with how the pic is presented and/or printed.

this photo is lacking any foreground objects, and the dark foreground may work against it as well.

if you could have gotten high enough to see the bend in the river it would have been interesting.

i think that it's a great shot tho, very dramatic, and far more interesting than the shots of flat ground that so many people shoot.

when you live in places like kansas, your landscape options are really limited, it's hard to make flat earth and sky into something exceptional.

11-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

In my opinion you could bring up the shadows, crop a little from bottom/top, and add some sharpening. F.e. like this:
11-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I would crop some of the sky and foreground, like Voy-tech did, but skip the sharpening. I might lighten the shadows, but not as much. Seems to reduce the overall contrast too much for my taste.

Wish I had been there to see Denali like that!

Jim
11-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I think Voy-tech is on the right track. But to be honest I think the couloring is a bit hart or heavy for want of better words to describe it.

Looks like it is late in the afternoon with bright and low sun and in these conditions the sun's rays start to change into a warm glow in my experience and grass from this angle really starts to "glow" which I always like very much. But in the original and voy-techs tweak there is too much blue in the overall picture. But voy-tech is right to sharpen the image and I like the crop.

Taking all this into consideration, I have played around with removing the colour cast and came up with this. However I don't know if the changes can be observed or even displayed on some of the screens out in forum members land. I also know from here as well as my friends that natural colour rendition is not always desired or appreciated, so please take my tweak with the some tolerance.

Cheers

Edit: Just realise image was taken 8:50 AM which would result in warm bright colouring.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-05-2016 at 09:55 PM.
11-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Love the mountains and that light patch of grass. The dark foreground is less appealing but not bad.
The river forming the lower left leading line is good but would be better coming right out of the corner. The road is interesting but too close to the edge of the frame. I can see how you were trying to get both the river and road in the frame but I'm not convinced that's working here due to their relative spacing. Maybe from a different spot or with a different FOV they would work better.
Exposure and focus both look great, at least at this size.

So I'd rate this as good. Composition in these kinds of places can be very challenging but I think a stronger composition could elevate this to very good or great.
Thanks for the advice! I shot this from the window of a moving bus so if I ever do get a 2nd chance here i'll probably hike up the mountains behind
11-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
hey, your shots of that bucktoothed kid with the cat on his shoulder, and the girl with the cherry trees behind her, are some of the all-time greatest pics that i've ever seen posted out here!

you don't always hit home runs, but when you do, it goes waaay out of the park

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 01:51 PM ----------

people argue about framing out here, but that varies with how the pic is presented and/or printed.

this photo is lacking any foreground objects, and the dark foreground may work against it as well.

if you could have gotten high enough to see the bend in the river it would have been interesting.

i think that it's a great shot tho, very dramatic, and far more interesting than the shots of flat ground that so many people shoot.

when you live in places like kansas, your landscape options are really limited, it's hard to make flat earth and sky into something exceptional.

Thanks for the comment! I have another shot from a viewpoint just slightly further down from which the river can be seen, but that one does not have the road inside so even less foreground object to look at.
11-21-2015, 02:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
In my opinion you could bring up the shadows, crop a little from bottom/top, and add some sharpening. F.e. like this:
Thank for the edits voy-tech and Schraubstock! I like the crop too! Nice shots on your website by the way voy-tech
11-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice! I shot this from the window of a moving bus so if I ever do get a 2nd chance here i'll probably hike up the mountains behind
Wow if that shot was from a moving bus than it's really impressive

Thank for the edits voy-tech and Schraubstock! I like the crop too! Nice shots on your website by the way voy-tech
Thanks for checking out my blog