Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Me, Myself and I

I was flipping through my photolog earlier this week and realized that it is, with few exceptions, one landscape after another after another. I know that specializing in one thing is fine and all but I was bored to tears and its MY photolog. People not emotionally invested in the pictures probably have trouble not nodding off before they can reach the dreaded [x] button to close the window.

I need to take pictures of people. I have terrible social anxiety and camera shy friends so I decided to get some practice on myself. My goal is to get comfortable enough to take more people shots. Some of my problem is shooting and some of it is processing since staring at people's faces on the computer screen illicits the same nervous response as interacting with strangers. I'm a strange duck, I know, but I'm working on it.

I'm posting three versions. I'm interested in come comments/criticism on the actual picture as well as what version works the best.

I need to work on my fill flash skills as none of the ones I used flash on turned out decent. This one was with the K10D, 31/1.8, f2.0, 1/125, ISO 100, on a tripod with remote and 3 second delay. Focusing was done as center point with the remote.

Last edited by TiJean; 06-26-2008 at 09:02 AM.
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No suggestions for improvment, just my initial emotional/visual reactions to the three images.

I like the myself version best (#2). This image is very engaging with both eyes interacting with the viewer.

The shadow isn't dark enough in the first one, so my eye kept going back to the shadow areas to see the detail and thus, didn't hold my attention as strongly.

For some reason, the glasses seem to dominate the image in the b&w version for me.

Hope this helps.

Tim
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really like the first one...it's got the most natural looking lighting, without the colour cast on the left side seen in the second one. Sometimes a reflector, a household mirror or a $2 piece of white foam-core can provide enough fill light even things out when using natural light.

I guess I can be a bit traditionalist, I might frame (or position yourself) in a shot like this with your eyes closer to the right side of the frame, adhereing to the rule of thirds. This would create a bit of space to see the position of your arms/legs. Does that make sense? I've done enough self portraits to know how difficult framing can be!

As for your social anxiety, I'd hardly call you an odd duck. Lots of people, myself included, have wrestled with that in one form or another. I commend you on your motivation to try this "exposure therapy" as it were

This is a really nice shot, and I had a look through your gallery and was in no hurry to reach for the [x].

Keep it up!
Damian
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

I have a people fear as well! The self-doubt holds me back! But I am working on it! =)

I think for a self potrait, it is pretty good! What would make it better is to crop it portrait style and brighten it up some! =)

I played with it to give you an idea!
(hope you don't mind. I will remove it as soon as you see it!)

See how the 'snapshot' feel is gone? It is now a much more professional image! =)

06-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the colors/skin tone of the first effort best. The BW is fine, too. I'm less charmed by your background -- the angle of the sofa and the window behind seem like they might be there for a reason, but I can't think of one besides a slight feeling of vertigo.

I also like the portrait framing in this instance.

These pictures seem like good efforts to me. Why not go out and take a whole bunch more and see what you got? The differences between your shots here don't seem as interesting as what you could do more with framing and backgrounds.
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
A big thank you to everyone for your advice. I will take everythign in and try again soon.
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think for a self potrait, it is pretty good!
I agree and would go even further. It's damn good.
The first, presumably the original has nothing wrong with it with the exception of the framing but hey, it's a self-portrait. Do some croping and you're good to go.

I don't like the effect on the 2nd and for a b/w the 3rd is not dark enough for my liking.

07-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

#1 is good, #2 too washed out, #3 needs more contrast as there is no "black" in the b/w.
07-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the 1st one, as it is the more natural looking of the three to me. Nice eyes by the way !!!
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

I agree with specialk, no 1 is the best, 2 seems overexposed on my monitor and the bw is both ove rexposed and lacking contrast. Also the skin tone in nr 2 seems off too.

As for the lighting I think I would lower the ratio a bit, its obviously side lit if you used a flash on one side then put a reflector on the other, if you dont have a reflector and/or dont want to make one then simply sit close to a wall and the wall will throw back some of the light.

Its still a nice picture though, and I know from experience that shooting yourself is not easy, I normally struggle getting the focus right, but then my cameras AF is way off so I have to manually focus it and try to position myself...
07-07-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Add more contrast to #3 and you have a winner. Black and white is super.

I also suffer quite alot of social anxiety, infact its enough to have me on medication. But fear not, I have a recipie for you.

Get a short/medium tele and stay in the shadows . I use mostly 135mm or 150mm when I shoot people. That way I can keep a distance and rarely need to talk to people. Check my flickr page and you'll see that it can be done, even if you hate social interaction.