Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Sitting Comfortably
Lens: DA 50-200 ED Camera: K-S2 Photo Location: Home ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi Everyone,

Bit of a request for advice/tips here. This is one of my rabbits, Edith. I'm finding it very difficult to photo her as she is dark, but glossy and her normal surroundings are quite light. This is pretty much the only decent photo I've managed to take of her, and it required some post-processing to lift the shadows. I've tried using flash and overexposing/underexposing but most of the time, I either blow the background out, she shines too much in flash or she ends up being a black silhouette. Does anyone have any advice/tips for me?

[IMG] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/138196016@N03/][/IMG]

12-05-2015, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can, take your flash off-camera and try to use a darker background. You mentioned that her coat is glossy. When you use on-camera flash, you're going to get some bounce-back. Moving the flash off-camera will allow it to illuminate Edith, but not the background and you'll avoid bounce-back. Also, if you'll use a darker background, you'll be able to bring her exposure up more and see more detail. It's all a matter of bringing all the elements down into a mutually satisfactory exposure range.
12-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.
11-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jabbershort Quote
Hi Everyone,

Bit of a request for advice/tips here. This is one of my rabbits, Edith. I'm finding it very difficult to photo her as she is dark, but glossy and her normal surroundings are quite light. This is pretty much the only decent photo I've managed to take of her, and it required some post-processing to lift the shadows. I've tried using flash and overexposing/underexposing but most of the time, I either blow the background out, she shines too much in flash or she ends up being a black silhouette. Does anyone have any advice/tips for me?

[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/138196016@N03/][/IMG]
Excellent shot. Great color contrast makes Edith distinct and well-defined.