Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The young bloke
Lens: 16-45 F4 Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Newcastle, NSW ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4 

My youngest son at his school graduation year 10, off to another school for year 11 and 12.

Would be pleased to see how this is for portrait and without my sentiment of family to the subject, either way I like the photo, but would be glad for others viewpoint and other tips or tricks. Thanks.

12-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

He's a little bit asymmetrical in the frame - you can see the edge of his right shoulder but not the left. Was he turned a bit to one side? That's all I've got to complain about.

Background's a bit busy but sets the context nicely so if anything it adds as much as it (nominally) detracts. His expression is what it is - some people don't smile well for the camera. He stands out from the background very nicely.
12-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
He's a little bit asymmetrical in the frame - you can see the edge of his right shoulder but not the left. Was he turned a bit to one side? That's all I've got to complain about.

Background's a bit busy but sets the context nicely so if anything it adds as much as it (nominally) detracts. His expression is what it is - some people don't smile well for the camera. He stands out from the background very nicely.
Cheers for the tips and you raise good point to remember for portraits. Thank you much appreciated.
12-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The (somewhat) busy background gives it some context so I can't complain about that. However, speaking of crops, the image is pretty long and I think cropping a bit from the bottom would bring the focus up a bit where it belongs. You could also crop in a tad to make the shoulders symmetrical if you wanted.

12-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Good idea. That would even the shoulders up while maintaining aspect ratio, though it might offset his head a little.
12-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Yes, there is some business but I don't mind it. Adds some context.

I would definitely crop the bottom. There is a very light spot from the tie near to where the v of the jacket is. I would crop past that because the light small spot draws my eyes downward and away from your son's face too quickly. If I had time for touch ups I would also tidy up the far edge of the eyebrow on the same side as the viewable shoulder and a few other little bits here and there.

But really, like the environmental pictures of my kids, the most important thing is that the picture conveys a very good sense of your son.
12-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The (somewhat) busy background gives it some context so I can't complain about that. However, speaking of crops, the image is pretty long and I think cropping a bit from the bottom would bring the focus up a bit where it belongs. You could also crop in a tad to make the shoulders symmetrical if you wanted.
Will give your advice a try and post some results later, all busy at the moment. Thank you very much.

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 05:43 PM ----------

Thanks Pathdoc and EricG, will be onto the PP tips and see what I can do, I never saw any of these imperfections and your input is also much appreciated.

12-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

When you go to a 5X7 or a 8X10 crop, you achieve just what the comments suggest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
12-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
When you go to a 5X7 or a 8X10 crop, you achieve just what the comments suggest.
Good job, will try the 8x10 looks good. Thanks very much.