Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Critique portrait and flash
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA, USA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 

I haven't done much portrait photography and haven't done much flash photography, so this is an early and modest effort for me. Would appreciate any and all feedback and advice.

One problem I have with it right away is the shadow on the right side of my subject. Since I don't use much flash, I don't usually have this problem, but it seems logical that with a flash you would. Advice?

12-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I haven't done much portrait photography and haven't done much flash photography, so this is an early and modest effort for me. Would appreciate any and all feedback and advice.

One problem I have with it right away is the shadow on the right side of my subject. Since I don't use much flash, I don't usually have this problem, but it seems logical that with a flash you would. Advice?
First of all I would like to say, a very good job for some one who has not done a lot of indoor portrait photography. As far as shadows are concerned, don't be. With practice you will overcome this issue and it will be as second nature for you.
Okay, you have several options. You can choose to use a flash unit that you can bounce off of a ceiling or another wall.
This helps reduce or eliminate the risk of red eye, and potentially harsh shadows. Now, about the ceiling, you will have to gauge its reflective characteristics. Is it white enough? Was it recently painted? Another option would be to use reflectors held up by an assistant and placed exactly where you anticipate shadows. These reflectors come in different shapes and I recommend having at least two of them. Another would be to use another flash unit as a slave unit, or just purchase a slave unit that will be activated by the main flash. There is also the use of an umbrella or parasol mounted on a microphone type stand and the flash unit is then mounted onto the parasol. This creates a very nice, soft affect and can be quite useful for your purposes. I have to mention in regards to the photo you have submitted, I am impressed by having a youthful subject posed on a wall with a rough texture. I feel it really adds to an ethereal affect. His half smile tells me he is quite a character.) Thanks for sharing.

Tonytee
12-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, Tonytee. He IS quite a character, indeed!

I should have said, this was flash unit mounted on the camera, bounced off of the ceiling. It is plenty white, painted within the last 2 years, but it may be a bit low, just under 8', would be my guess.

If I was taking this photo again, I think I might try to put a bit of distance between him and the wall to see how that changed the shadow.

I'm interested in learning to use this flash off-camera and playing with softboxes and things, but just haven't gotten there yet.

I really appreciate your advice, I'll work through it.
12-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, Tonytee. He IS quite a character, indeed!

I should have said, this was flash unit mounted on the camera, bounced off of the ceiling. It is plenty white, painted within the last 2 years, but it may be a bit low, just under 8', would be my guess.

If I was taking this photo again, I think I might try to put a bit of distance between him and the wall to see how that changed the shadow.

I'm interested in learning to use this flash off-camera and playing with softboxes and things, but just haven't gotten there yet.

I really appreciate your advice, I'll work through it.
Well, I am not saying to not create space between your subject and the wall, but keep in mind, in this case the wall is your backdrop. You can have a lot of fun with the color and texture of the wall in your portraits. The shadow on your subject's left side is not unsightly. In fact I believe it frames the subject very well and creates a more interesting affect for your work.

Laters,

Tonytee

12-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #5

I experimented the same, few weeks ago, trying to take my own picture for professional advertising on LinkedIn (head & top of shoulders).

Here is my observations:
A) if you put more distance between the subject and wall, you will worsen the shadow effect, making it thicker.
B) I also observe, using only ONE flash solution (mounted on camera), shadow effect is "a bit better" when shot in landscape mode with flash above the lens, instead of shooting portrait mode with flash located on left of lens (assuming you are behind the camera).

My setup was:
White background, 70mm FL, subject (me) about 6 inches from the background, lens (on tripods) about 4 or 5 feet away, at face height.

My next attempt will be to use 2 flashes solution, when I will have time for reading how-to and setting up the "home environment".

Have fun.
12-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks curious, Troy ... did you draw that shadow yourself in post?
12-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Looks curious, Troy ... did you draw that shadow yourself in post?
No, that's legit shadow. I think it bothers me because he is wearing all black. If the shadow contrasted with his clothing, it would give depth, but in this case, I think it distorts his figure a little.

I am happy overall with the capture, especially since I don't know what I'm doing in this regard.

No one has mentioned yet the fact that I chopped his foot off. Any composition folk have strong opinions one way or another about that?

12-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Even with your subject so close to the wall, I think you did a great job of balancing your flash with the main exposure. All you really needed to do is move the flash off-camera to the right a bit. When doing this type of photography, "shadow placement" becomes a big deal. The trick is to think about where the main light source is coming from...or, if the light source is in the frame, place your flash so that it seems like the light was coming from the visible source. That'll make things appear more natural.
12-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So much to learn. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
12-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

So much to learn. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Maybe not as much as you think. If you'd moved your flash a tiny bit, nobody would have ever guessed that you had used it. Your portrait looks very natural to me.
12-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should have said, this was flash unit mounted on the camera, bounced off of the ceiling. It is plenty white, painted within the last 2 years, but it may be a bit low, just under 8', would be my guess..

Looks like the flash is spilling enough light straight towards your subject that it's contributing directly to the exposure for that hard shadow. Try flagging the flash to avoid this direct contribution and cut things down to just the light that's bouncing off the ceiling. Also consider the direction you bounce, it doesn't have to be straight up and can be sideways, or behind you, etc. For example, see the Black Foamie Thing.
12-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

No one has mentioned yet the fact that I chopped his foot off. Any composition folk have strong opinions one way or another about that?
Well, it's been said that you should crop mid calf instead of ankle or knee - you're not far off.
12-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
First of all I would like to say, a very good job for some one who has not done a lot of indoor portrait photography. As far as shadows are concerned, don't be. With practice you will overcome this issue and it will be as second nature for you.
Okay, you have several options. You can choose to use a flash unit that you can bounce off of a ceiling or another wall.
This helps reduce or eliminate the risk of red eye, and potentially harsh shadows. Now, about the ceiling, you will have to gauge its reflective characteristics. Is it white enough? Was it recently painted? Another option would be to use reflectors held up by an assistant and placed exactly where you anticipate shadows. These reflectors come in different shapes and I recommend having at least two of them. Another would be to use another flash unit as a slave unit, or just purchase a slave unit that will be activated by the main flash. There is also the use of an umbrella or parasol mounted on a microphone type stand and the flash unit is then mounted onto the parasol. This creates a very nice, soft affect and can be quite useful for your purposes. I have to mention in regards to the photo you have submitted, I am impressed by having a youthful subject posed on a wall with a rough texture. I feel it really adds to an ethereal affect. His half smile tells me he is quite a character.) Thanks for sharing.

Tonytee

On first look, I did not scroll down far enough. I would omit the white colored base board. Of course it is up to you, but I feel it is an unnecessary item which deflates your whole purpose. The photo would be more uniform without it and the distraction or out of place sense it causes the viewer.

Tony
12-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahhhh your journey in flash is just beginning! Lucky you! You are going to have a good time!!

Flash's are cool! Best way to practice? Shot yourself and read lots... Read lots then shoot yourself

You are off to a fine start, keep shooting!