Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 04:11 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Australian Native Blue Banded Bee
Lens: Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 

I also used a Godox AD180 @ 1/4th power with the gridded snoot to create this image.

01-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The only thing that comes to mind regarding critique is, if you would have taken the photo from a higher angle so that all of the bees on the stick would have been in focus and not affected by dof. Of course, coordinating with the bee in flight might pose a problem....

I hope that I explained myself correctly. Other than that, a really great shot. Wish I had native bees in my yard!

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 01-12-2016 at 05:19 AM.
01-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photograph of a new insect for me. Is the swarming typical behavior? Very unlike what our bees do. I like the color and lighting a lot.
01-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
if you would have taken the photo from a higher angle so that all of the bees on the stick would have been in focus and not affected by dof.
They were on a low branch and I was practically on top of them. I specifically wanted a Bee in flight in the image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Nice photograph of a new insect for me. Is the swarming typical behavior?
I'm no expert on native bees, but far as I know these typically make underground nesting sites and it has been very warm here in Adelaide, too warm to stay underground. I suspect they are bundling together outside to keep cool.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-22-2016 at 10:30 AM.
01-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best BiF (Bee in Flight) pictures I've seen, great timing and lightning - no disturbing reflections.I actually like the slight blur of the bees further back, could even have been slightly more pronounced for a smooth transition to the branch.

One thing that I would change about the picture is to crop it to "portrait" dimensions, maybe 4:3 or 5:4. With a lot of mostly empty space left and right, the bees and branch appear barely squeezed into the frame, whereas cropped they look intentionally tightly framed.
02-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. They look like leafcutter bees.

These may be males, who don't get to go into the nest holes. I don't know anything about these, but males will have larger eyes than females, extra antenna segments and slightly different "hind ends." These eyes look really big.

Remember, it's just the honeybee which has thousands in a colony with just a few males now and then. You'll see males of all other bees very often sleeping halfway through the day, waiting for their chance for new females to emerge and mate. Males also get eaten more frequently, for just these reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amegilla_cingulata
02-13-2016, 01:27 AM   #7

Nice one, but how about framing like this?

Attached Images