Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

First Upload - Shot from horseback
Lens: Sigma Zoom 70-210 UCII Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Cook County Forest Preserve ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.3 

So I took my new K-3 II out on trail to see how it did in the cold (mid 20s F). I had the camera exposed to the cold for about 3 hours and took about 450 shots in RAW and the batter indicator didn't drop below 2/3 and it never felt sluggish. I was quite impressed.

I took this one from horseback with the lens set at 140mm, camera was in aperture priority mode. It's one of the few that came out great, probably because I was able to get my horse to stand still for a second. I fiddled around with the sliders in Lightroom a bit (still learning) and got something I think I like, but I'm always looking for ideas to make it better.

Also, anybody have any tips on shooting from a moving horse? Should I try for wider aperture or bump the ISO more?

Thanks for the feedback!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

With this being basically a portrait of a horse, I'd have gone wide open with the lens to blur the background more.

I like the photo though. In general, F6.3-F11 are going to be your sharpest and you can choose whether you want more blur f6 or less, f11. F8 is typically accepted as the best sharpness. In terms of ISO/aperature/shutter I think your settings are fine, I'd have just liked to see it's look wide open.
01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kurtgamer01 Quote
So I took my new K-3 II out on trail to see how it did in the cold (mid 20s F). I had the camera exposed to the cold for about 3 hours and took about 450 shots in RAW and the batter indicator didn't drop below 2/3 and it never felt sluggish. I was quite impressed.

I took this one from horseback with the lens set at 140mm, camera was in aperture priority mode. It's one of the few that came out great, probably because I was able to get my horse to stand still for a second. I fiddled around with the sliders in Lightroom a bit (still learning) and got something I think I like, but I'm always looking for ideas to make it better.

Also, anybody have any tips on shooting from a moving horse? Should I try for wider aperture or bump the ISO more?

Thanks for the feedback!
Gee, that's a pretty shot!

I don't shoot from horses, but do shoot a lot from moving platforms, boats, etc. and imagine it would be similar in some ways. The key there is to use as fast a shutter speed as possible, way faster than you would otherwise think necessary. The faster ss can often compensate for your movement. You've got to literally "freeze" all the movement of the camera, to the extent possible. I often shoot at 1/1000 or faster and increase the ISO accordingly. The K3II is great for handling high ISO situations.
01-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lucky shot - a tripod would be steadier though!

01-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!
01-18-2016, 01:58 AM   #6
eva
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kurtgamer01 Quote

Thanks for the feedback!
Nice .I never shoot from horse,but did once from elephant . Feeling was like shooting from a small boat.....

01-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eva Quote
Nice .I never shoot from horse,but did once from elephant . Feeling was like shooting from a small boat.....
Nice shot eva, that pachyderm looks really interesting and sharp to boot. Reminds of the story of the four blind men describing an elephant.
01-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
eva
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
Nice shot eva, that pachyderm looks really interesting and sharp to boot. Reminds of the story of the four blind men describing an elephant.

01-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
That's a good one!
01-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Of course you can always blur the background in Photoshop. My attempt at that. It is a nice photo, you should be happy with it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yeah, I picked up an Adobe subscription last week, I've been trying to learn Lightroom and Photoshop a bit.