Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 01:03 AM   #1

New to Post-Processing
Lens: Sigma 17-50, Pentax 70ltd Camera: K-30 

Taking a stab at editing software. I'm using lightroom to dip my toes in, then I'll be moving to photoshop once I feel limited.

I'd like a total critique, as honest as possible, no pulled punches. I'm mostly worried about if I'm overdoing it in the editing department. I don't want to look like I'm using instagram filters, but I'm new enough to this that my eye isn't trained on editing taboo. I'm just going to post a few, but there is a link to my flickr. You can go open season on whatever you'd like; I'm here to learn.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben

Last edited by averagehitman; 01-26-2016 at 02:56 PM.
01-20-2016, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All very nice photographs. If this is your first time playing with the digital darkroom, then you are way well on the right direction.
01-20-2016, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Bloke, this stuff is all done very well. No oversaturation of colours, no excessive sharpening. No real reason to go to photshop in any sort of hurry.
01-20-2016, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pics, very good PP results. I would advice to clean the sensor marks on those high F value photos like the 2nd one using the healing or the stamp tool.

01-20-2016, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
using the healing or the stamp tool.
Better still, clean the sensor it is dead easy. It will only get worse, much worse.
01-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
I didn't notice the spots until I posted. I'm so used to having a dirty computer screen that I tune those out! I re-edited and removed, and I'll be cleaning my equipment tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
01-20-2016, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by averagehitman Quote
...so used to having a dirty computer screen...
Better still, clean that too it is dead easy. It will also get worse, much worse.

01-23-2016, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only see 1 and 3. #3 is superb. Great tonal qualities and wonderfully crisp detail.

Only a suggestion is to have a look at a tighter crop on the gentleman's face and removing some of the background on the right. Also I would recommend some spot removal to get rid of the white flecks on the clothing. If that is a zipper centre bottom I would clone that out too.These are only my suggestions to hopefully make an excellent photograph even better.

Photoshop is a completely different program to Lightroom in the way you edit images. It's little brother, Photoshop Elements, is a less expensive way to learn the techniques and processes of the full Photoshop. You might consider looking at that as an alternative. One thing the Photoshop family of programs do better than lightroom is spot removal.

Keep up the great work.
01-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I can only see 1 and 3. #3 is superb. Great tonal qualities and wonderfully crisp detail.

Only a suggestion is to have a look at a tighter crop on the gentleman's face and removing some of the background on the right. Also I would recommend some spot removal to get rid of the white flecks on the clothing. If that is a zipper centre bottom I would clone that out too.These are only my suggestions to hopefully make an excellent photograph even better.

Photoshop is a completely different program to Lightroom in the way you edit images. It's little brother, Photoshop Elements, is a less expensive way to learn the techniques and processes of the full Photoshop. You might consider looking at that as an alternative. One thing the Photoshop family of programs do better than lightroom is spot removal.

Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the critique Bruce. I'll do some more experimenting.

Second picture should work now. I did some spot removal and replaced the link.