Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1

First Shots with New K3
Lens: DA 16-85mm Camera: K3 Photo Location: Iceland ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

I just got my K3 and took it for a tour on a trip of Iceland. I'd love feedback -- landscape photography is not my strongest area. I haven't done any post-processing.

---------- Post added 01-26-16 at 11:34 AM ----------

One more:

01-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that first shot is cool.
01-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
that first shot is cool.
I agree ^^

Enjoy your new camera and the PF company!
01-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
abl

Original Poster
Thanks both!! Any critiques? Exposure, composition, etc look good?

01-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abl Quote
Thanks both!! Any critiques? Exposure, composition, etc look good?
Well, first shot is more in to my liking. I also like that you can see the water(exposure is not too long). If I were you I'd crop a little of that sky away and take those people away. How to PP..it is mostly question of taste. Maybe little brighter would be nice, but careful to not to blow snow/ice details. Also little color correction. Great shot and place!
01-28-2016, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
abl

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well, first shot is more in to my liking. I also like that you can see the water(exposure is not too long). If I were you I'd crop a little of that sky away and take those people away. How to PP..it is mostly question of taste. Maybe little brighter would be nice, but careful to not to blow snow/ice details. Also little color correction. Great shot and place!
I really appreciate that. I actually did take one that doesn't have the people, but I like it slightly less -- the people give the waterfall scale.
01-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That is true. And as I said these are matter of taste.

01-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

I dunno, just me, I would do something along the lines of this. I think 800 ISO maybe a bit higher than you needed for an outdoor landscape photo. Some of the details/highlights of the background I think may have been lost due to the high sensitivity. Assuming the shutter speed was set on Auto, the fact that it was so high (1/250s) shows the camera was trying to keep it small as possible cause there was so much light coming in. A little PP to bring out some of the lost highlights and sharpening might make it look it a little better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum....a very dramatic image of what looks like the Godafoss waterfall during the heart of winter. It looked much milder in June when I was there.
02-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Both images are hart to correct particularly when they are in JPG format. The colour is not correct and they are flat.

Still I will be bold enough to try. Please note the people in the first image suffer of the dreaded white halo disease which is a direct result of doing heavy 8-bit JPG corrections. This can be avoided when making similar corrections in RAW format. What I have done here is by no means the best outcome. I have used Photoshop CS6 (Choose Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight) and OLONEO PhotoEngine.

The second image ? well maybe it looks better may be it does not you be the judge. The cropping is just an idea.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2016 at 03:10 AM.
04-03-2016, 04:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Both images are hart to correct particularly when they are in JPG format. The colour is not correct and they are flat.

Still I will be bold enough to try. Please note the people in the first image suffer of the dreaded white halo disease which is a direct result of doing heavy 8-bit JPG corrections. This can be avoided when making similar corrections in RAW format. What I have done here is by no means the best outcome. I have used Photoshop CS6 (Choose Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight) and OLONEO PhotoEngine.

The second image ? well maybe it looks better may be it does not you be the judge. The cropping is just an idea.

Cheers
You pp on the first image is very aggressive and get lot of sharpness artifacts. There likely more possibilities than that with the picture. I prefer the original.

How about this?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very impressed with your two original works. Composition is difficult in winter scenes. However, I appreciate the background in the first photo with the foothills and the grove of trees on the right. It seems to have very good balance. The snow/ice covered highway is very well composed and exposed. Brings back memories of when as a child, I had to walk along the sides of highways in blistering cold winds and biting snow in my face. Well done on both of your works and I am sure that we are all looking forward to more in the very near future. Thanks for sharing.

Tony
04-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i agree that first image is especially nice and what would have improved it the most would have been moving the shutter and iso down some... but still very workable, especially in raw... Your shared version is almost there and what Nicolas shared has arrived for me of what I would want... It is a personal preference thing largely though and I like contrast. Same goes for your second image. I'd be stretching the highs and lows to give them more bite.. For example:

04-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah to me there 2 obvious post processing positions for theses pictures. A Constraty one to get more details out of it... Or on the contrary a less contrasty foggy version to remind us of the weather...
04-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #15
abl

Original Poster
I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate everyone's help, thoughts, and feedback! I really have also enjoyed see what sort of post-processing magic you've been able to work on my photos!

This has been a pretty energizing experience, and I'm definitely finding myself using my K3 more now. Thanks tons. I don't expect these will be the last photos I post here.