Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tell if this looks out of focus to you
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: k-3 Photo Location: George bush park Tx. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 

I have taken several images with my DA*60-250 and they seem to be out of focus. This image is focused on the tree in the center of the picture. I did use a tripod but it still seems blurred. .

Perhaps its either back or front focusing? Or perhaps my eyes have given out.

I Don't know. let me know your thoughts.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I have taken several images with my DA*60-250 and they seem to be out of focus. This image is focused on the tree in the center of the picture. I did use a tripod but it still seems blurred. .

Perhaps its either back or front focusing? Or perhaps my eyes have given out.

I Don't know. let me know your thoughts.
Since you have focused on the center tree, your foreground would be a little soft, but not out of focus. Look at it as bokeh in the front of the photo. Nice shot, clear and pleasing to study. Thanks for sharing.

Tony
01-28-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Difficult to tell on such a small image. Lots like a lot of chromatic aberration which might be giving and out of focus perception.
Perhaps you can point to a full sized image, or crop around the center tree at 100% and post just that portion. It will give a better image from which to judge any potential issue.
01-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did some post processing and removed the chromatic aberration and it looks far better. I threw in a little sharpening and now the picture is so sharp its almost hurts my eyes! thanks for the tips, I will post the updated pic tonight.

01-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I only check focus using the loupe in Aperture, set at 100%. Many of my out of focus images are posted on the forum at web size, and no one knows the difference. If it's close, at web size you can't tell. So, I wouldn't even hazard guess. I can't tell that it's out of focus from your picture, but that doesn't mean it isn't.
02-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

try turning off the aa simulator in the menu. My k3 photos looked the same until i turned it off. Also turn off any filters like noise reduction, etc.
02-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Since you have focused on the center tree, your foreground would be a little soft, but not out of focus. Look at it as bokeh in the front of the photo. Nice shot, clear and pleasing to study. Thanks for sharing.
At f/11 I'd figure pretty much all of the trees should be sharper than they are. But I'm not sure if the lens is ff/bf or there is something else on going with the camera system to cause the image to appear soft. It could simply be heavy JPG compression on a cropped image.. I really don't know. But I will say, to me, the image shown does indeed appear soft.

02-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
At f/11 I'd figure pretty much all of the trees should be sharper than they are. But I'm not sure if the lens is ff/bf or there is something else on going with the camera system to cause the image to appear soft. It could simply be heavy JPG compression on a cropped image.. I really don't know. But I will say, to me, the image shown does indeed appear soft.
There are a couple of ways to manipulate the scenery. One would be to open the lens a little by using f/8. At times a little more light can make a difference. The other alternative would be to try between f/11 and f/16. Or, right on at f/16. Be aware though, this will in a way affect your dof. One thing I love about this hobby is that there are always options available to experiment and learn with. Again, I think it is a very nice photo. Keep up the good work.

Tony
02-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit difficult to say as others have pointed out. To my eyes it looks reasonable, certainly in the foreground to middle distance. I am not familiar with that lens but I would have thought anything with a DA* should be pretty good. I am also assuming that being on tripod the SR was off.

60mm lens at f11 should have a fairly deep depth of field, in the order of 30ft if focused at 25 ft. So I would think most of the middle distance trees should be in focus.

If you are using multi-zone auto focus the camera may not be focusing exactly where you think it is. Even if you believe it is focusing on the centre tree the camera may just pick up another point. Better test would be to use SEL or Centre focus modes. Even then this is not an ideal target for focusing. I don't like using trees to assess focus accuracy. They do move around slightly in the wind. The trunks may be relatively steady but the branches and leaves will move. It may not be significant in this instance but much better to use solid structures.
02-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I contacted the lensauthority where I bought it from and they are going take it back under warranty and have a look to see if it needs to be aligned or if there are other problems. I will let y'all know what happens from there.
03-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got my lens back, lens authority said there was nothing wrong, but when I used it for some other subjects recently the pictures where much better. So either my technique has improved (probably) or they did something while it was there and sent it back. Either way problem solved..

thanks for the replies!