Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 04:13 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

Need critique on a few portraits.
Lens: Sigma 35mm Art Camera: K3 

Good morning (or good day, evening etc.)

So, It has been a while since I posted anything, and I am in a great need of some critique.

A week ago I shot some portraits and these are a few of the results I got. Personally, I like them. Not love them, but I really like these photos. So I sent them to the client and she is not really that excited. Her main argument is that her chin looks bad, face in general looks outstretched and that there is too much mystery. It is unclear whether she is laying, standing etc.

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance!

2. _K3_4309 by Rokas Jundulas

3. _K3_4302 by Rokas Jundulas

Last edited by Apapukas; 02-24-2016 at 04:32 PM.
02-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love #2
02-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought "mystery" was a good thing? In any case, #2 gets my vote as well.
02-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I assume she does not like dark shadows and contrast. I personally like #1 and #2 a lot, but as a client she probably expected more "pretty" look. Lots of girls prefer softer, lighter look.
Perhaps you can ask her what style she does like.

02-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I assume she does not like dark shadows and contrast. I personally like #1 and #2 a lot, but as a client she probably expected more "pretty" look. Lots of girls prefer softer, lighter look.
Well, here are my thoughts. She is no question a very lovely young lady. Numbers 1 and 2 have a problem with darkness around the eyes. My word, in a portrait, the eyes are just about everything. Number 3 I like best and would like even more if she were to smile even a little. Your photography is wonderful. I have had some difficult clients in the past that were not happy with their poses. My cure for that was to have them stand in front of a full length mirror, with me behind them and present to me a pose that they would be very happy with. That was not the panacea for all ills, but it certainly reduced the number of complaints from them since they chose the pose.

Thanks,

Tony
02-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I like #2 and #3 as well. Heck man, they are ALL good.

I see nothing that I could add to make those photos technically better. They are all excellent.

One idea though is to talk to your client and get a feel for them and their personality and ask them what kind of things they like or what they want to portray.

For example in your photos there are all these dark, bright, heavy colors. It makes for great images but the overall tone where you 'composed with color' is all toward the deeper darker colors.

Maybe show her some photos of something with lighter brighter colors and see what she says. Say wearing whites or yellows and brighten them up some to make it pop. Try to maybe create a more 'cheery' feel by the use of different colors... at least show some examples and ask and poke around some to see what she's after...

On a technical aspect of things the photos are stellar. The viewer on the other end though just might have a different vision of what they are after.

Also it is worth noting that a lot of people are so self critical that nothing will please them. They will always be too fat or too skinny or to this or too that.

Don't let that kind of personal insecurity distract you to thinking your images aren't great.
02-25-2016, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who spent there time looking at these photos, wrote a replay etc. It is really helpful. Sincere thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Love #2
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I thought "mystery" was a good thing? In any case, #2 gets my vote as well.
To each its own probably Different people like different things. Personally, I love to keep some mystery in the photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
That makes sense Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well, here are my thoughts. She is no question a very lovely young lady. Numbers 1 and 2 have a problem with darkness around the eyes. My word, in a portrait, the eyes are just about everything. Number 3 I like best and would like even more if she were to smile even a little. Your photography is wonderful. I have had some difficult clients in the past that were not happy with their poses. My cure for that was to have them stand in front of a full length mirror, with me behind them and present to me a pose that they would be very happy with. That was not the panacea for all ills, but it certainly reduced the number of complaints from them since they chose the pose.

Thanks,

Tony
I completely agree on your point about eyes.
Your idea with the mirror sounds extremely helpful. Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I like #2 and #3 as well. Heck man, they are ALL good.

I see nothing that I could add to make those photos technically better. They are all excellent.

One idea though is to talk to your client and get a feel for them and their personality and ask them what kind of things they like or what they want to portray.

For example in your photos there are all these dark, bright, heavy colors. It makes for great images but the overall tone where you 'composed with color' is all toward the deeper darker colors.

Maybe show her some photos of something with lighter brighter colors and see what she says. Say wearing whites or yellows and brighten them up some to make it pop. Try to maybe create a more 'cheery' feel by the use of different colors... at least show some examples and ask and poke around some to see what she's after...

On a technical aspect of things the photos are stellar. The viewer on the other end though just might have a different vision of what they are after.

Also it is worth noting that a lot of people are so self critical that nothing will please them. They will always be too fat or too skinny or to this or too that.

Don't let that kind of personal insecurity distract you to thinking your images aren't great.
I completely agree with the point about people (girls mostly) being extremely self critical and not finding themselves beautiful as they, feeling insecure etc. That is true and probably quite sad too.

I found your critique really helpful. Thank you!

02-25-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I like them very much! The girl is so beautiful
02-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

I lack expertise in portrait photography and makeup, but here are some thoughts:

As she is concerned about her chin, avoid poses in which her hand is near her chin and poses in which her chin is closest to the lens.

Consider application of makeup to reduce highlighting of her chin.

Best wishes.
02-25-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Not a critique but just a suggestion...
...slightly less saturation and contrast and a bit more shadow detail?

Last edited by wildman; 02-28-2016 at 02:32 AM.
02-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

These are well done and are mostly flattering to her.
I can understand her critique, however, as when I look at them, my brain assumes she is in a vertical position and then I am confused why her hair is splayed out like that. It takes me a second to register as the body/hand position suggests vertical poses. That first shot emphasizes a jawline with a hard shadow and though she is lovely as can be, some people are especially conscious and critical of their own image, and maybe that is a sensitive area for her.

Contrast is too strong for me; i like a lower contrast, softer look but yours is certainly an accepted processing style.

Overall, I like the work but the customer is the one who must be happy in the end.

nice edit by wildman - i like that better.
02-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jupanlee Quote
I like them very much! The girl is so beautiful
Thank you! She definitely is

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I lack expertise in portrait photography and makeup, but here are some thoughts:

As she is concerned about her chin, avoid poses in which her hand is near her chin and poses in which her chin is closest to the lens.

Consider application of makeup to reduce highlighting of her chin.

Best wishes.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Not a critique but just a suggestion...
...slightly less saturation and contrast and a bit more shadow detail?
Awesome job! I love it. Definitely going to try a different approach to PP. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
These are well done and are mostly flattering to her.
I can understand her critique, however, as when I look at them, my brain assumes she is in a vertical position and then I am confused why her hair is splayed out like that. It takes me a second to register as the body/hand position suggests vertical poses. That first shot emphasizes a jawline with a hard shadow and though she is lovely as can be, some people are especially conscious and critical of their own image, and maybe that is a sensitive area for her.

Contrast is too strong for me; i like a lower contrast, softer look but yours is certainly an accepted processing style.

Overall, I like the work but the customer is the one who must be happy in the end.

nice edit by wildman - i like that better.
Great critique. Gonna to do better on my next shoot Thanks you.
02-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

1: I like it. it is very natural. she is looking at something, makes you wonder what. But it must be something nice because she has a lovely smile. I also like that it is a bit darker, and that colors are very saturated, it suits the photo.
2: Don't like it at all. And it is because of the arms and hands. It is really one of those standard poses that you learn with every course, and I never understood why. Who stands like that anyway? poses like that, always look so awkward and unnatural too me.
3:Nothing wrong with this one, but it doesn't catch my eye as photo one did. And I do find the out of focus hair on the right (her left) distracting
02-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
1: I like it. it is very natural. she is looking at something, makes you wonder what. But it must be something nice because she has a lovely smile. I also like that it is a bit darker, and that colors are very saturated, it suits the photo.
2: Don't like it at all. And it is because of the arms and hands. It is really one of those standard poses that you learn with every course, and I never understood why. Who stands like that anyway? poses like that, always look so awkward and unnatural too me.
3:Nothing wrong with this one, but it doesn't catch my eye as photo one did. And I do find the out of focus hair on the right (her left) distracting
I agree with your points. 2 is my least favorite too. Her looks a little alien'ish

By the way, huge thanks to everyone who spent their time writing a reply. They were extremely useful and I trying a new approach to PP now (I will post results here)
02-26-2016, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 2 cents worth...
I could imagine seeing any of these shots in a fashion magazine; they're good images basically. The highlights on her forehead in #3 make it look like her skin is a little oily (mine certainly is) so I might have pulled them back a little in PP. Like others have said, many of us don't like pictures of ourselves (or don't like a recording of ourselves singing) because we notice every 'flaw', even if it is imaginary. What is a 'bad' chin? Her chin does have strong shadows around it, so maybe a little fill light from underneath to soften the shadows and make the chin less prominent. I see so many pictures of women with their eye makeup making them look like raccoons. It may be a fashion trend, but to me it certainly isn't flattering. It's the client's personal choice of course, but you might be able to gently bring into the pre-shoot consultation discussion how clothing and makeup choices will affect the impact/mood of the image.

Her comment about her outstretched face may be due to the fact that you are using a 35mm focal length lens. Can you switch to a 50mm, or better yet an 85mm? These lenses would give more flattering results as they move away from 'fisheye' distortion toward flat field rendering.

I think the key to a successful shoot/happy client is having a good understanding of what they are looking for. You can't hit a target if you don't know what you are shooting at. Some clients may have a strong idea of what they want when you first meet them. They might even bring in sample photos of images they like. Others won't have any idea, they just want 'nice pictures'. You can show them samples of work that you have done that include high contrast, low contrast, high saturation, low saturation, bright, dark, etc. treatments. I have often been in the position of not knowing what I want until I see it, such as buying my last pair of shoes. Do they want 'traditional'? Avant-garde? Would they prefer to stand-up, sit down, lay down, hang upside down? Do they want mystery or plain-jane?

Your client seems to be very comfortable in front of the lens, which helps a lot. If you could draw her out a little regarding what her ideal image would be, it will help you both. Assure her that you want to work with her to create images that she will be thrilled with.