Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Not happy, don't know why

I feel like there is potential here, but I just haven't been happy with the results I have gotten so far with it. Any suggestions?

03-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Definitely a lot of potential. For me I think the framing on the top is too much. It's too heavy. If you crop that off leaving only maybe 1/4" up there and maybe crop some of the bottom too it draws your eye right into the picture.

I think this is screaming to be stitched. If you can shoot it with a longer lens and stitch it so that it brings out the texture on the ground more... that would be awesome.
03-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would have been better with an HDR treatment to brighten up the dark areas.
03-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Which dark areas? The shadows from the clouds or the inside of the cave which acts as a boarder?

It was actually a HDR Panorama, something like 5-6 sets of photos taken vertically ... I will link to the full size image. There is lots of detail available in all of the dark areas in my raw file, just not sure which ones to bring out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jy7cP27Jcia1RkWXJGTEVIS28/view?usp=sharing

I will give the crop a shot as well.

03-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The picture needs cropping on the top which will give a better panorama format as well. Also the shadows inside the cave as you said have to brighten up. I don't have any program in hand to retouch your image but here is just a different cropped version with improved histogram from Xnview.
Attached Images

03-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My feeling is that it's a nice view well photographed, but you haven't quite decided what the image is about- I don't know what's in the bits that are cropped out, but you might want to try reversing the logic and loosing a bit of width in favour of height - going towards a squarer composition to focus the sight lines down the valley a bit more. If it doesn't work - like you hate it - then at least you know more what you want and can go for that whole-heartedly.
03-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

My 1st thought when I saw this was, "Hey, I know this area." Here is a pic (Almost the same) that I took a few years ago.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

For me, natural borders like this require a very strong focus point between the borders. Your eyes don't know where to stop and look closer without it and tend to keep going back and forth between what can be partially seen in the border and the main body of the picture.

I have a similar picture that I thought would be great when I took it but did nothing when I did the processing.

Tim
03-13-2016, 01:38 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Not happy, don't know why
I also agree with the top heavy comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Your eyes don't know where to stop
+1, I also need something in the vista to focus on... a red truck or something to hold the eye.
03-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

Crop looks better. If you can lighten the monolith in the foreground it should allow the skyline and clouds to refocus your eyes.

JB
03-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
Which dark areas? The shadows from the clouds or the inside of the cave which acts as a boarder?

It was actually a HDR Panorama, something like 5-6 sets of photos taken vertically ... I will link to the full size image. There is lots of detail available in all of the dark areas in my raw file, just not sure which ones to bring out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jy7cP27Jcia1RkWXJGTEVIS28/view?usp=sharing

I will give the crop a shot as well.
Something more for you to consider (great shot by the way).
In Lightroom I would tweak the lights & highlights in levels and a bit of Vibrancy and experiment with a vignette.
03-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You are not happy because you didn't wait for the golden hours