Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 05:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Garden Flowers
Lens: Helios 44-2 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Sofia, Bulgaria ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F2 

Hey guys, I'd like to get your opinions on this picture. I shot it at around 7 am, there wasn't much light, and it was with the Helios 44-2 lens, which is not really a macro lens, however, I think it worked pretty well for this picture. The bokeh is that special something that you get from the old Soviet Helios lenses and colors are very nice in my opinion. Please give me your comments on it, and don't worry about being too harsh, I can take it

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I admire the color, and I enjoy the fact that one full bloom and part of a couple of other blooms are in focus while the other blooms are out of focus.

If it was my image, I would consider cropping down approximately 1 3/4 to two inches from the top. (I think the portion which would be cropped out is distracting.)
After the cropping, I would consider selectively darkening the small, almost white plat area at upper right and perhaps also the light area at upper left — above the large, green leaf.

I hope to see more of your images.

Someday I hope to get the chance to use a Helios lens.
Best wishes.
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I admire the color, and I enjoy the fact that one full bloom and part of a couple of other blooms are in focus while the other blooms are out of focus.

If it was my image, I would consider cropping down approximately 1 3/4 to two inches from the top. (I think the portion which would be cropped out is distracting.)
After the cropping, I would consider selectively darkening the small, almost white plat area at upper right and perhaps also the light area at upper left — above the large, green leaf.

I hope to see more of your images.

Someday I hope to get the chance to use a Helios lens.
Best wishes.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I never crop photos because even if you crop a little, the photo loses quality, and I feel like the way the Helios lens curves the bokeh around the flowers, the top part of the photo is essential in capturing that. Maybe a B&W version would be pretty cool though
03-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tip for making future ones work.. If it's not a single flower look for patterns in nature like circles, s curves, etc. if you look at this photo you can see the flowers make a circle. Odd number as opposed to even numbers usuall work well. Focus is up to you ��
Good shot overall

Randy

03-17-2016, 03:29 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
Thanks for the positive feedback. I never crop photos because even if you crop a little, the photo loses quality, and I feel like the way the Helios lens curves the bokeh around the flowers, the top part of the photo is essential in capturing that. Maybe a B&W version would be pretty cool though
Personally I disagree with this statement. If you crop an image you just slightly change the image size, make a better framing or use cropping to zoom in. You don't lose image quality that way unless you do heavy cropping. Resolution of modern digital cameras is very good and even if you do crop an image, it is still possible to make a high quality large size print.

Regarding your shot, it is quite nice, but I also find the upper part too distracting - it almost makes me feel dizzy. I would too crop it out and the result wold be much better I think.