Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #1

Yellow flower
Lens: Tamron 70-300 Di Macro Camera: Pentax K5 IIs ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F13.5 

Something really pleases me in this shot, however I have some doubts - have I got the composition right, maybe it's too dark? But when I try to make the shadows brighter, I feel it looses that "special something". So I need your opinion and constructive critique please!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree is is a bit dark looking. Rather than brighten the shadows, lift up the highlights and darken the shadows slightly. Your background is a little messy, the yellow petals behind the main subject don't really help. Good to have a splash of colour there but they are just a bit too in focus. The stalks on the left are fine as they are, they add some depth.
03-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buruny Quote
have I got the composition right, maybe it's too dark?
Yeees. This is a common problem with flower photos. Blossoms are simply very radiant, highly saturated, without any other colours. So when you take a photo, they seem much brighter than the background, and so saturated that all detail disappears.
So with flowers its a balancing act of trying to make it dark and desaturated enough for textures to appear, but keep it bright enough so that some of the surroundings can be recognized. Different photographers in this genres use different methods to deal with this issue. A high quality polarizing filter can help.

I would add EV (you can look at histogram; the idea is to have colour information spread across the whole histogram, not all bunched on one side), and maybe selectively desaturate parts of the flower so that detail remains.

But good shot, nicely framed, nice detail, good-looking flower.