Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Marina lightning
Lens: Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Hilary's Boat Harbour, Perth ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 

Hi all, I visited the local Marina to view the sunset and was pleasantly surprised when a lightning storm rolled in off the Indian Ocean. Totally unexpected, so I hastily chose a spot to set up camera + tripod and started snapping away. This is one of the first photos that I took, and it turned out to be my favourite from the night. Lightning can be pretty elusive/unpredictable/non-cooperative to try and take photos of, especially when you don't have an proper wide angle lens to use!

Anyway, the second pic is the original photo straight from camera, while the first is the finished product after PP in Lightroom. Critique for the photo composition, PP, and overall thoughts are most welcome.

Attached Images

03-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focus point on the foreground or background, I could not quite tell with my laptop. Maybe the fore ground structure could have been more to the left, its competing with the background which is the main subject. clone it out and you would have a winner, which it is almost. Very Good job
03-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the processing. The clouds have much more definition without looking overprocessed.

The wooden pier on the left is a distraction. Maybe try a much tighter crop of just the right side of the photo to get ride of the pier. That will stick the 2 lightning bolts all the way at the left edge, which is unfortunately very close to the new edge of the frame.
04-04-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
Hi all, I visited the local Marina to view the sunset and was pleasantly surprised when a lightning storm rolled in off the Indian Ocean. Totally unexpected, so I hastily chose a spot to set up camera + tripod and started snapping away. This is one of the first photos that I took, and it turned out to be my favourite from the night. Lightning can be pretty elusive/unpredictable/non-cooperative to try and take photos of, especially when you don't have an proper wide angle lens to use!

Anyway, the second pic is the original photo straight from camera, while the first is the finished product after PP in Lightroom. Critique for the photo composition, PP, and overall thoughts are most welcome.
I like the idea, however as mentioned earlier the pier is much too imposing and intrusive. It gives the impression that it is pushing the vessels into a crowded position or state. Other than that I have to vote for the original. The lightning is not so bright and the reflections in the water are more pleasing. Good job and thanks a million for sharing.

Tony

04-08-2016, 01:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have to agree regarding the pier, and it would have been a good bit of foresight on my part to have moved a few more metres down the shoreline. Live and learn I suppose,

From memory I used Live-view to focus on one of the boats in the foreground, but they were slowly moving with the gentle swell, so they're not perfectly sharp.