Cosplay portrait
Lens: Sigma 30 Camera: K30 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F2.5 

Recently I have shot a cosplay session and this is by me the best shot

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice image, the difference between the light colours and soft textures of the model and the hard cold (and apparently dusty and unused) staircase makes a nice contrast. Overall the shot opens up so many possibilities as far as stories behind it are concerned. Well done
03-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice contrast between the colourful model and the dull, greyish background. Composition is also great, with the staircase offering a nice leading line. No real criticism to offer.

Where was this shot? I love grand old buildings, even dilapidated ones.
03-26-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for replies. The location is secret :/

I just wanted to show one can use inferior gear to create good photo

03-26-2016, 05:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nothing inferior about the K30. Great camera.
03-26-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

I think the light is too harsh on her. It's in an ok position but just way too bright. And no diffusing it seems.. as if the bare flash is sitting 2 feet from her face.
But maybe that was your idea for the shot? It does give a very harsh look to her. Maybe her character is a harsh one?

There is also a bit of red in her eyes that I'd have PP'd out... or at least minimized.

Otherwise I like the shot - good concept, composition, focus...
03-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When shooting cosplay, it's important to get as much of the costume as you can in there. This leads you more toward full and 3/4 body shots. Thigh up can be good too if she's got a short skirt/shorts and shoes/boots that aren't all that interesting. A couple head/shoulder shots are good too, if she's got elaborate makeup or other details you/she want to showcase, but don't do just head shots in the set. The other reason to take caution on head shots is that almost all the girls are doing their own makeup; they're pretty good at it but they are not generally MUHA skilled. (It may be impossible to do your own makeup as well as someone else can put it on you.) When you're using flash, flaws will be greatly amplified. You'll need to take care of her in post. Your model here is quite pretty and her makeup looks quite good, so that's more of a general tip.

For your photo here, I'd say adding more of the body would improve the shot. There's really not much you're missing, so you'd only have to back up another foot or two to get all of her. Since she's sitting, it doesn't make for an elongated composition as well, so you can still get that sense of crampness you're going for.

As for some of the other cricitism, I'd reduce the highlights on her face. You have a couple shadows. I wouldn't try to take those out but if you had had her turn her face just slightly more toward you, the shadows would be gone. Just something to think about. The wig looks good; often flash will make it all shiny and that makes it look cheap (and the cosplayers *hate* that). That didn't happen to you here, so no worries.

03-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions!

There was not a flash just a big muddy window

---------- Post added 03-26-16 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
When shooting cosplay, it's important to get as much of the costume as you can in there. This leads you more toward full and 3/4 body shots. Thigh up can be good too if she's got a short skirt/shorts and shoes/boots that aren't all that interesting. A couple head/shoulder shots are good too, if she's got elaborate makeup or other details you/she want to showcase, but don't do just head shots in the set. The other reason to take caution on head shots is that almost all the girls are doing their own makeup; they're pretty good at it but they are not generally MUHA skilled. (It may be impossible to do your own makeup as well as someone else can put it on you.) When you're using flash, flaws will be greatly amplified. You'll need to take care of her in post. Your model here is quite pretty and her makeup looks quite good, so that's more of a general tip.

For your photo here, I'd say adding more of the body would improve the shot. There's really not much you're missing, so you'd only have to back up another foot or two to get all of her. Since she's sitting, it doesn't make for an elongated composition as well, so you can still get that sense of crampness you're going for.

As for some of the other cricitism, I'd reduce the highlights on her face. You have a couple shadows. I wouldn't try to take those out but if you had had her turn her face just slightly more toward you, the shadows would be gone. Just something to think about. The wig looks good; often flash will make it all shiny and that makes it look cheap (and the cosplayers *hate* that). That didn't happen to you here, so no worries.
Wigs and flash I know that

---------- Post added 03-26-16 at 03:32 PM ----------

adding some more from flickr

grr wig vs flash

Last edited by AldaCZ; 03-26-2016 at 03:37 PM.
03-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just saw your set on Flickr. Didn't know this was your PF username. The photo you posted for critique is the weakest in the set. I like these others much better.
03-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just saw your set on Flickr. Didn't know this was your PF username. The photo you posted for critique is the weakest in the set. I like these others much better.
I also haven't known..yours Flicker but when I clicked, it has clicked!

---------- Post added 03-26-16 at 03:47 PM ----------

A funny thing..she shoots with a canon...I also do a from time to time cosplay and she uses the infamous canon lens hood reversal technique :/ when I asked why she said the UV filter

I have found that heavy usage of photoshop in the norm. I dare to be different and have use free NIK SW

Last edited by AldaCZ; 03-26-2016 at 03:49 PM.
03-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looking at the selection of added images, I would not automatically think of cosplay as the theme (but then I don't know much on the subject) so perhaps bringing it up was misleading me. Quite a few nice images there, the one with the mirror is spoilt by the vertical scratch that runs straight up the models face and across her eye, a couple of inches one way or the other and it would have been a completely different effect.

All in all a great set of images, well done
03-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The photo you posted for critique is the weakest in the set. I like these others much better.
That's my thought, too. I won't comment on the first photo since the OP already posted several other keepers.
04-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to admit that at first I was not excited about this work. However, when I spotted the young lady in her sitting position, with that pensive look in her eyes, the way she crossed her right leg over and especially the position of her hands, well, I am awestruck. This particular photo I believe is just about as flawless as one could only hope for. Fantastic use of backlighting, the detail in the photo and the wonderful combinations of clothing with just the right amount of colors, her jewelry and the proper exposure, comes together perfectly.
Thank you so much for your hard work and for sharing.

Tony
04-03-2016, 03:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice pictures ! But I agree on the first one the light is too agressive on the face. and fur. It is supposed to be in some dusty place with soft light and on the opposite there very direct, clean and agressive light... Would have worked better for me with softer light.

That being said, the shots are great
04-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments. She is also a photographer and she taught me while we shoot. I have think photographers are good models too!