Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shift
Lens: smc Pentax 18-135mm Camera: K3ii Photo Location: Sandsend, England ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F18 

I timed my visit to Sandsend for when the Sunrise coincided with the tide coming in, the idea was that I could try out the Pixel Shift on my K3II. What I wanted was to capture the Wooden Groins and the Sea swirling around them, since pixel shift is only useful for still subjects I took several with pixel shift and without moving the tripod I took several without pixel shift. The aim was to combine them.

Can someone tell me why when I open a Pixel Shift RAW file up in CS6 it does not seem to recognise it and the green artefacts carry on through but if I open it in the Lightroom Develop module the Green artefacts magically disappear.

IMGP2679-1.jpg has been processed in Lightroom with basic adjustments, except that the sharpening was boosted to 90.

IMGP2679-2.jpg has just been opened in CS6 RAW processer then opened and saved to jpg.

As far as I know they both use the same RAW convertor.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It could actually be that LR is only looking at one of the captures and PS is looking at the full pixel shifted version (which I imagine would have artefacts because the water is moving) -- so PS is actually the "correct" (shifted/blended) version?

As far as why hey are not the same -- what version of LR is it? Have you gotten all the updates to both programs? (There was recently a camera raw update for CS6.) Older LR might not be able to deal with pixel shift as it stops updating the raw module after a while.
04-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, LR version 5 with RAW 7.1 and later (thats what it said in preferences) CS6 with RAW v9.1. What you say makes sense but I seem to be able to ramp up the sharpening as if its dealing with the full 120meg file. I am going to load the free program that came with the Camera and see how that works. But I must say that Lightroom seems to do a great job.
04-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Groins

Just thought I'd show a couple of processed images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pretty sure LR 5.7.1 doesn't have the updates to fully deal with the pixel shift images (but LR6 and LRcc do) -- does it even recognize the K3II?
04-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Digital Utility 5

Not sure what you mean by recognise thecamera, it recognises the Raw file. I have installed and run softwarethat comes with the K3II and I can't see any difference at 100%, Both DigitalUtility 5 and Lightroom seem to accept (treat) the file in the same way exceptthat Utility 5 has a button for Pixel shift. I have to say at this pointthat I am an amateur and when I try to delve too far into a subject I end upconfusing myself. I will in future probably open all my PS files in Utilty 5 and save them as TIFFS prior to processing them.
04-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devem Quote
Not sure what you mean by recognise thecamera, it recognises the Raw file. I have installed and run softwarethat comes with the K3II and I can't see any difference at 100%, Both DigitalUtility 5 and Lightroom seem to accept (treat) the file in the same way exceptthat Utility 5 has a button for Pixel shift. I have to say at this pointthat I am an amateur and when I try to delve too far into a subject I end upconfusing myself. I will in future probably open all my PS files in Utilty 5 and save them as TIFFS prior to processing them.
The version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) built into LR 5.x will read your PEF and DNG, but is not able to process all four images needed for pixel shift. It also lacks a camera profile for your K-3II. Consensus on this site is that it processes the first of the four images as a conventional capture. For pixel shift and full K-3II support In Lightroom you need LR 6.x or above.

Your workaround is a reasonable alternative.

Steve
04-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Pixel shift

Thanks a lot for all your help, at least now I know where I am treading.

« pegs | Street View »