Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

It's a very nice shot. Of the three versions you have posted, I prefer the natural one.

I have a somewhat different approach to this sort of thing. My goal is to reproduce what I perceived when I was there.

Your third version was an improvement in some ways, but the excessively blue shadows at left centre and the loss of definition in the clouds were not good.

I've reworked the natural version using a combination of Camera RAW and Photoshop tools.

I started by adding a bit of clarity, vibrance and saturation to the whole image. Then I worked on local adjustments using the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop. I selectively burned in shadows to enhance the texture and solidity of the rock faces, and to make textures more consistent across the image. In the sky I burned in midtones to darken the blue sky, then dodged highlights to lighten the clouds. I then used hue/saturation in Photoshop to tone down the sky blue a bit, as burning in the midtones had made the blue saturation a bit excessive. The goal was to make the sky more interesting.

I could be tempted to lighten the heavy shadow in the lower right, but would want to have a higher bit depth file for that one.

Most or perhaps all of these adjustments could be made in Lightroom using the Adjustment Brush thingie, but I'm more comfortable in Photoshop.

Hope you find this useful.

04-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the natural image - the sky in versions 1 & 2 of HDR looks too artificial.
04-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
It's a very nice shot. Of the three versions you have posted, I prefer the natural one.

I have a somewhat different approach to this sort of thing. My goal is to reproduce what I perceived when I was there.

Your third version was an improvement in some ways, but the excessively blue shadows at left centre and the loss of definition in the clouds were not good.

I've reworked the natural version using a combination of Camera RAW and Photoshop tools.

I started by adding a bit of clarity, vibrance and saturation to the whole image. Then I worked on local adjustments using the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop. I selectively burned in shadows to enhance the texture and solidity of the rock faces, and to make textures more consistent across the image. In the sky I burned in midtones to darken the blue sky, then dodged highlights to lighten the clouds. I then used hue/saturation in Photoshop to tone down the sky blue a bit, as burning in the midtones had made the blue saturation a bit excessive. The goal was to make the sky more interesting.

I could be tempted to lighten the heavy shadow in the lower right, but would want to have a higher bit depth file for that one.

Most or perhaps all of these adjustments could be made in Lightroom using the Adjustment Brush thingie, but I'm more comfortable in Photoshop.

Hope you find this useful.

superb sky work.
a slight green cast to the valley, however.
04-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
superb sky work.
a slight green cast to the valley, however.
Thanks. Didn't work on the green in the valley. Possibly bring in a logging crew? Seriously, I don't see anything too far off in the trees. Maybe a monitor calibration difference? Not a major thing in a 5-minute makeover, anyhow.

04-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer #3. As another member said, maybe crop a little of the sky, but otherwise; beautiful!
04-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Didn't work on the green in the valley. Possibly bring in a logging crew? Seriously, I don't see anything too far off in the trees. Maybe a monitor calibration difference? Not a major thing in a 5-minute makeover, anyhow.
The waterfall isn't white, to me; in this retouch. But otherwise, nice!!
04-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

it also got very warm and the water is yellow, but could be some golden hour

04-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it also got very warm and the water is yellow, but could be some golden hour
Mike,

Have you seen Horsetail at golden hour in February?
04-19-2016, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Mike,

yea, you mean this?

Horsetail II

---------- Post added 04-19-2016 at 10:15 PM ----------

Mike,

what i meant was compared to the original post, the reprocessed one turned very warm, white balance-wise. I liked the color tones of the original better.
04-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

yea, you mean this?

Horsetail II

what i meant was compared to the original post, the reprocessed one turned very warm, white balance-wise. I liked the color tones of the original better.
I didn't do anything to the colour balance. The warmth may be inherent in the image, a bit of golden hour effect as someone else suggested, but more noticeable when brightness is reduced. I'm getting tired, so I'm not going back into the image, but you can certainly see for yourselves. I made the rock faces darker mainly by burning in shadows in Photoshop, using multiple brush stroke, 0 hardness, 15 per cent opacity. You might be able to do something similar using the adjustment brush gadget in Lightroom with the shadows slider somewhat to the left.

I agree that the waterfall is warmer than the snow in the scene. Again, that may be a bit of Golden Hour. Part of the warmth of the waterfall may also be explained by the translucency of the water, which may allow the somewhat warm-coloured cliff behind the falls to reflect warmed light back through the falls.

Without seeing the surrounding landscape I can't entirely explain why the golden hour effect would be stronger in the closer part of the scene than on the distant peaks. Perhaps the colour of the distant areas is affected by blue haze. As a matter of personal taste, I like the enigmatic variations in colour temperature.

Good night!
04-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yea, you mean this?

Horsetail II

I just wanted to know if you had seen Horsetail. I've tried twice in previous Februarys, without luck. You live much closer than me. Seeing El Capitan and read the words about a warm colored waterfall triggered the question.

That is quite a picture of yours. It is very impressive. Can you talk a bit about it? Where did you shoot it from? Time of day? Lens? It appears that you were looking westward.
04-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I just wanted to know if you had seen Horsetail. I've tried twice in previous Februarys, without luck. You live much closer than me. Seeing El Capitan and read the words about a warm colored waterfall triggered the question.

That is quite a picture of yours. It is very impressive. Can you talk a bit about it? Where did you shoot it from? Time of day? Lens? It appears that you were looking westward.
oh, i wasn't sure what the reasoning was. sorry.
Yes, I went out this year, tried 2 days in a row and the first day the conditions were perfect and then about 15 minutes before go time, it fizzled (a big cloud blotted out the light). The next day conditions were bad all day but an hour before the show, it cleared and was memorable.
Shot from the North Drive turnout area. I think I used the FA150mm/2.8 on the 645Z. Some additional info in the flickr description if you click the image.
thanks for looking
04-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh, i wasn't sure what the reasoning was. sorry.
Yes, I went out this year, tried 2 days in a row and the first day the conditions were perfect and then about 15 minutes before go time, it fizzled (a big cloud blotted out the light). The next day conditions were bad all day but an hour before the show, it cleared and was memorable.
Shot from the North Drive turnout area. I think I used the FA150mm/2.8 on the 645Z. Some additional info in the flickr description if you click the image.
thanks for looking
What weather service do you use? I think I know the spot. I'd need to use a 300mm on my K3. Wait till next year!

Thanks!
04-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

What weather service do you use? I think I know the spot. I'd need to use a 300mm on my K3. Wait till next year!

Thanks!
I think you converted equivalent focal length in the wrong direction. 150mm on the 645 is more like 75mm on the K3.
04-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think you converted equivalent focal length in the wrong direction. 150mm on the 645 is more like 75mm on the K3.
You are right! I should try thinking now and then.

With respect to AOV, 645Z-FA150mm approximates K3-DA limited 70mm. (I hope I'm thinking now)