Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
The Indian Ocean.
Lens: SMC-M 50mm f1.7 Camera: Pentax ME Photo Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 

Marine Drive was pretty lonely that day. Too much negative space? Sorry, it's just my second roll of film.

Attached Images

04-30-2016, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand that you are a relatively new photographer. Before you take a shot, ask yourself, "What is my subject?" Here, there is no subject. All you have is part of a roadway and some water. If there was a ship, or a boat, even a row boat or a power boat, you would have a subject. Your horizon is close, but still uneven. In case you are not familiar with how to get an even horizon over water, bring your focus points in the viewfinder, approximately 1/2" to 3/4' above the water line, and be sure to have it dead center. Another important fact to keep in mind is that harsh sunlight is not always ideal. Actually, you had a few more f/stops to work with, and even 1/2 stops i.e., between f/8 & f/11, or between f/11 & f/16, and you could even attempt one or two shots at f/22. If you did not have the lens set to A for Automatic, you might give it a try. However, with a slow film speed as ISO 200 on a bright day as this, you might want to consider moving up to a faster film speed such ISO 800 or even higher. Another option would be to use a CPL, Circular Polarizing Lens (Filter). I use a Hoya CPL, and it is very good for reducing glare and reflections from metals, glass and water. This is a good early effort of yours. Good Luck, Tonytee.