Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEN n' INK No1

This is an HDR image in a cheapo lightbox, shot with natural light using the 50 f/1.4. Other than suggesting I get a macro -- which I will do as soon as wife forgets her threat to staple me to the ceiling if I spend more money on photography -- suggestions on how to improve it? I kept the HDR color shot, so if anyone is interested I'll post that as well. Thanks again for any cirticism, FHP

07-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the bokeh a bit harsh and might smooth it in PP. Better yet, put something interesting as a backdrop.

The white of the feathers seem blown. This is always a difficult subject as anyone who has shot a swan will attest. Since you used HDR maybe even the darkest image was still over-exposed?

Compositionally, a single feather that is not cropped out of frame would look better to me.

Hope this helps!
07-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I find the bokeh a bit harsh and might smooth it in PP. Better yet, put something interesting as a backdrop.

The white of the feathers seem blown. This is always a difficult subject as anyone who has shot a swan will attest. Since you used HDR maybe even the darkest image was still over-exposed?

Compositionally, a single feather that is not cropped out of frame would look better to me.

Hope this helps!
I tried smoothing out the background in PP but I kept loosing edge pixels on the feathers making them even softer... and suggestions how to do that?
Yeah, the feathers are blown. No matter setting I tried, I couldn't get it right, correct exposure seems to be an ongoing issue for me. I see you use a K100 as well, any exposure tips you can send along? ... I used MWB and spot metering, maybe I'll try auto and matrix and see what happens. Thanks, FHP
07-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first suggestion for the background I actually made second... try putting something there (fabric, paper) to create a nicer look in-camera, so you do not need to do as much PP>

As for exposure, it is difficult. Since this is a studio setup maybe you can use the auto-bracket feature? Take three shots and recombine them using HDR. I think even if you do this you might need to dial in -1EV.