Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

I know my photos suck. That said give me some aesthetic advice!

Heyo people,

Just fishing the anonymous internet for some constructive criticism. I'm aware this is a bad place to look and it will probably be explosive and bore a number of you to tears which makes me want to go for it anyways! GO!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahoyyeminstrel/

Feel free to say whatever! It's just the internet! I'd just like some feedback!

05-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe what you have done is a real fine effort on your part. I have gone through each one and quite frankly, some a very nice, some are okay and some I do not know what to say about them. Truthfully, this is the best place to ask for critiquing. Thanks for sharing.

Antonio
05-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just a thought... most of your shots have the subject placed very centrally, try now again to apply the "rule of thirds" as it makes a real difference to composition and the look of your imagery.
05-15-2016, 03:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, I would agree to look at your composition and consider the rule of thirds, leading lines, fore-middle-background etc...The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman is an excellent book on the subject if you have some money to spare and like book learning.

I would also try a bit more creative variety with your viewpoint. There is a lot of 'stand and point' going on. Get low, get high...move around! The standing eyeline is very familiar to the viewer, it helps to show them something different.

05-15-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Some of these shots are really cool! But a lot of the time, it seems like you're in the trap of 'taking photos of anything and everything because my camera is awesome'. Everyone's been there. Just try to thing about your subject. What story does the image tell. Why do I care about the subject?
05-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with ZoeB, what is the story, what affects you--grabs you--with this scene, and how do you best capture that? The transition between those two is the harder part and takes the most thought, and knowledge of your camera. I like many of the things you were taken by in these photos. I took the RMIT University on-line class on The Art of Photography, and it helped me a lot, also looking at many photographic threads on the PF. I am very much still learning. Often posters will describe some of the thinking behind their shots.
05-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think I would use the word suck, some of them are really good. I think curating them into groups will help you see more of a vision and then allow you to follow and explore a subject matter a little better. If you make a folder of "shadows" and then one of "people" and one of buildings (or whatever you saw that make them similar) It won't be as jarring. Then one day you can set out and explore one subject better and then walk around and explore with your camera, look at things from different angles and take photos of different details. I think it's just that all of them in one place, and seeing a flower photo next to a portrait makes it easy to get overwhelmed and make a judgement about all of them because they look like they have no relationship to each other.
05-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frank, you have a lot of really cool photos. I think you posted more than I would have, but who cares? If I can get 10 keepers for every 100 clicks, then I'm ecstatic. If photography were baseball, my batting average would be woeful. I strikeout most of the time, but when I get a hit it's a great feeling. As far as getting hammered by commenters...that won't happen on this forum. Honestly, this forum is full of some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever come across on the internet.

05-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I would also try a bit more creative variety with your viewpoint. There is a lot of 'stand and point' going on. Get low, get high...move around!
The eye-level viewpoint was what first jumped out at me, too. I also agree with those who thought many of the pics were too centered in the frame. That said, there are a lot of great pics in what you posted. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by showing so many pics. Edit that group down to your top 10 or so and you'd have a nice folder of pics.
05-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The Flickr Photostream shows everything you post. Your photos range from interesting to random objects. I'll suggest using Albums to group your personal best. Create an album with a name like "My Best" so it's easy for visitors to find them without having to scroll through all of your photos. As you evolve and change your mind, you can change the photos in that Album. Also consider albums to group photos by style, by subject, or whatever.

What's the purpose of posting https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahoyyeminstrel/22204754420/in/dateposted/ ? Perhaps you were doing a depth of field test. Consider whether you want to upload tests or just show the best photos your want other people to see.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahoyyeminstrel/20212008839/in/dateposted/ is a scene with potential. In my opinion the branch shadows interfere and distract from that image. Sometimes a good photo requires returning to the scene under different lighting conditions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahoyyeminstrel/20404804051/in/dateposted/ might be an example of tunnel vision; you were too intent on the cart and didn't notice a distracting foreground object (or your finger) at the bottom-left of the image.