Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Star Shaped.
Lens: Nikon 28~105mm D Lens Camera: Nikon D70 Photo Location: Beaverton, Oregon ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F4 

My neighbor asked if I would mind taking a few shots of her flower collection. This one turned out very well, however I am opened to any comments/suggestions.
Weather conditions were excellent, slightly overcast and just a cool breeze. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Antonio

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D70  Photo 
05-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost impossible to avoid in most situations but bug eaten foliage seems to always jump out at me.
05-20-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Some of the stamens and petal tips look blurred. I can't tell whether that was due to motion blur from wind (fix with a higher shutter speed, balanced by higher ISO for the same overall exposure), or shallow depth of field from too wide an aperture (fix with a smaller aperture, balanced by either slower shutter or higher ISO for proper exposure).

The petal at the top is very close to the edge. If you were to print this photo, the mat or frame might cover the tip. Frame a little wider if you ever want to print things.

The lighting of the scene looks flat. Fill flash at an angle might add more interest. I'm a flash novice, though, and won't pretend to know how to best do that.

The photo may or may not benefit from some processing. In Lightroom, I would consider: 1) Some of the petals and leaves have minor hot spots where light is reflecting. Lower the highlight slider a tiny bit. 2) The background leaves take attention away from the flower. Reduce luminance in the green channel to darken them a little. 3) Boost the clarity slider a little to bring out extra detail in the flower.
05-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Some of the stamens and petal tips look blurred. I can't tell whether that was due to motion blur from wind (fix with a higher shutter speed, balanced by higher ISO for the same overall exposure), or shallow depth of field from too wide an aperture (fix with a smaller aperture, balanced by either slower shutter or higher ISO for proper exposure).

The petal at the top is very close to the edge. If you were to print this photo, the mat or frame might cover the tip. Frame a little wider if you ever want to print things.

The lighting of the scene looks flat. Fill flash at an angle might add more interest. I'm a flash novice, though, and won't pretend to know how to best do that.

The photo may or may not benefit from some processing. In Lightroom, I would consider: 1) Some of the petals and leaves have minor hot spots where light is reflecting. Lower the highlight slider a tiny bit. 2) The background leaves take attention away from the flower. Reduce luminance in the green channel to darken them a little. 3) Boost the clarity slider a little to bring out extra detail in the flower.
Excellent commentary and suggestions. Many thanks,

Antonio

05-25-2016, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Almost impossible to avoid in most situations but bug eaten foliage seems to always jump out at me.
Ummm, actually that was me. As you can see, I do enjoy eating out a lot. ))

Antonio.
07-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
My neighbor asked if I would mind taking a few shots of her flower collection. This one turned out very well, however I am opened to any comments/suggestions.
Weather conditions were excellent, slightly overcast and just a cool breeze. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Antonio
I think you've made a marvelous picture.
07-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

DJ, I thank you sincerely and I will use all of the suggestions you have offered.

Much Grass,

Tony