Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
B&W Lake shore- Please critique

Hello,

This photo is one of the two I' ve decided to keep from a early morning shooting by the lake.
I sort of like it, but I feel something is definetly missing.
Please critique on all aspects.

Thank you!

05-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Original Poster
Increase in contrast, perhaps?

05-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you could try cropping it so that the waterline on the shore isn't splitting the pic in half? maybe put that line a third of the way up, instead of halfway up.

it's a nice pic, what it needs is an old rowboat or something as a foreground object.

people also use rocks and stumps as foreground objects, but that is completely played out, it's right up there with slow shutter speeds making running water look soft and mushy... when you set up a scene like this, look for something that'll tell a story, make it stand out somehow.
05-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What are you trying to say with this photograph?

Maybe a polariser disappearing the tree reflections, less of the lake, the clouds more defined, perhaps with an orange filter to accentuate the anger of the sky even if there isn't any, perhaps blended top to bottom, wait a couple of hours for the clouds to 'make' what it is you want?

You don't have enough depth of field so the bottom of the image is going out of focus, try f11, f13, f16 + or elevate the camera, or both these and check your depth of field before you take your master image. Also the bottom has little to add to your photograph so I'd crop it a little.

This one would perhaps look better in colour, try different and radical colour temperatures in B&W and colour as I sometime this can turn a typical photograph into an eye catching one, or help along with other processes.

Spend hours and hours on it and enjoy what you can learn from it.

And finally watch the Ansel Adams documentaries on YouTube and feel the awe

Well done!

05-27-2016, 01:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello,

Thank you for the responses.
I will try to answer both in this message.
My idea was to create horizontal symmetry with the other shore. The lake is about as much as you see in this picture. No boats, rocks, or stumps. I was trying to catch the fog in the morning. It wasn' t cold enough in the evening to produce the quantity I imagined.

I used a CPL and the F stop is above F11 if I remember right (will have to check the exif when I get the chance) .
The lens used is the 15 mm.

L.E. : F14, Exp. : 5 sec. , CPL on

Will try a remake this weekend.

All the best!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 05-27-2016 at 12:35 PM.
05-28-2016, 12:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
What are you trying to say with this photograph?

Maybe a polariser disappearing the tree reflections, less of the lake, the clouds more defined, perhaps with an orange filter to accentuate the anger of the sky even if there isn't any, perhaps blended top to bottom, wait a couple of hours for the clouds to 'make' what it is you want?

You don't have enough depth of field so the bottom of the image is going out of focus, try f11, f13, f16 + or elevate the camera, or both these and check your depth of field before you take your master image. Also the bottom has little to add to your photograph so I'd crop it a little.

This one would perhaps look better in colour, try different and radical colour temperatures in B&W and colour as I sometime this can turn a typical photograph into an eye catching one, or help along with other processes.

Spend hours and hours on it and enjoy what you can learn from it.

And finally watch the Ansel Adams documentaries on YouTube and feel the awe

Well done!

Hello,

I cropped it (roughly on the phone) , but find myself leaning towards the square (symmentry line on horiz) . Ofcourse, it needs to be cleaned and the dead space to be reduced.

All the best!

05-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #7

Actually. The square crop idea is kind of to my liking. Although I think you could try variations (e.g. crop right side out, crop left side out) to emphasize the symmetry. The slight bend in the middle creates an imbalance between the left and right hand sides of the picture. When I do this kind of compositions, I sometimes like to draw out the implicit lines with a red pen on a separate photoshop layer to check how to composition is laid out and how to make it better, it helps with the visualization.

Hope this helps