Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Asasins Creed
Lens: Tolina 80-200 2.8 Camera: K50 Photo Location: MO.USA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F4.5 

Looking for advice when going from shadow to bright sunlight. Is the arm blown out too bad for this to be good? Taken at a Renaissance fair where most of the day we were in the woods in the shade but had spots where we had bright sun. I had exposure compensation +1/2 witch turned out good for most of the rest of the shots, but in the sun some areas got blown out. Shot is SOOC and un-cropped. I was on center weighted metering, shooting jpeg. I know, shoot raw, but card was almost full and my know how in post consist of Squirrel Mafia's presets in Raw Therapy, big thank you to him, and as far as I know I can't adjust exposure in specific areas with the programs I have access to. (SilkyPix being the other). What else could be better with the shot? Still learning so go easy on me, but be honest please.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 02:33 PM ----------

I did do a crop and cut off the right side person when uploaded to facebook and K-50 photo thread but clicked wrong image uploading here, sorry.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 03:09 PM ----------

Heres the cropped image if it matters.
edit, guess it didn't upload, arggg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by 1wild1; 05-30-2016 at 03:11 PM.
06-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Get ISO down to 100 at least in bright sun. I would have increased DOF to F10-11 and bring shutter speed down. In bright sun, your shutter would still have been high enough to handle the slow moving crowds. The subject is challenging. My advice is shoot manual and get a feel for Fstop and Shutter speed in different scenarios. Get used to balancing them. Adobe Lightroom is cheap and awesome for post processing fixes like this (i.e. reducing shadow). Shoot RAW whenever possible. Your post processing options will be more limited with JPEG, but you can still work with them. Keep at it, your camera is excellent.