Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful Dahlia.
Lens: Pentax 18~55mm Camera: Pentax K100D Super Photo Location: Woodburn, Oregon ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

The shutter speed shows 1/90s, however it was at 1/100s. This was from our trip to the Oregon Annual Dahlia Festival. Please feel free to offer comments/suggestions.

Antonio

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
06-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice picture. Can't get much better with the detail.
06-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Nice picture. Can't get much better with the detail.
Much appreciated. Many thanks.

Antonio
06-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-55 is a smart little performer at f8. Nice work with excellent detail in the centre. Perhaps a little more depth at f11 might bring the top petals into sharp focus like the bottom. Perhaps the flower is angled away from you. Reds may be a little over saturated but hard to tell in a small jpeg. If you are into editing may I suggest cloning out the brown stem leading up to the top right hand side. The small red patch on the left adds nothing to the picture and leads the viewers eye away from where you want it.

All up pretty darned good. I like it.

06-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
The 18-55 is a smart little performer at f8. Nice work with excellent detail in the centre. Perhaps a little more depth at f11 might bring the top petals into sharp focus like the bottom. Perhaps the flower is angled away from you. Reds may be a little over saturated but hard to tell in a small jpeg. If you are into editing may I suggest cloning out the brown stem leading up to the top right hand side. The small red patch on the left adds nothing to the picture and leads the viewers eye away from where you want it.

All up pretty darned good. I like it.
Actually I did flub a little. I just noticed in EXIF Data that I left the mode on Landscape and should have had it on Tulip for close up. That may have contributed to the out of focus petals on the top. You are correct regarding the reds, however that is the way the flower is. I had some trepidation about the reds, but this camera does better at handling red than my Nikon equipment. Much to my chagrin. I am very pleased that I posted this in the critique section. Thank you very much for your input. My one concern about stopping down the lens one full stop is what will happen with the shutter speed? I will have to move to a slower speed I imagine. Again, many thanks.

Antonio
06-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
. My one concern about stopping down the lens one full stop is what will happen with the shutter speed? I will have to move to a slower speed I imagine. Again, many thanks.

Antonio
Yes you will have to select a slower shutter speed or select higher ISO. I always opt for higher ISO. This is the major advantage a digital camera has over a film camera in my opinion, it is so easy to change film speed.

I work on the principle that the composition including focus and depth of field is most important. Then I worry about shutter speed. I like to use about 1/250th of a second on flowers to counteract my movements and the flowers movements. If I need a high ISO to achieve a good exposure with these two variables then so be it. I will underexpose and correct the exposure in post if I have to. A slightly noisy underexposed but well focused image is I believe always preferable to a fuzzy well exposed image.

I can't recall what camera you have but if it has the TaV mode, this is the best thing to use. I set it to 1/250 at f11 and let the camera work out ISO for exposure. Those settings are excellent as a starting point. Noise and exposure can be treated to a large extent in post processing, focus can not.
06-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Yes you will have to select a slower shutter speed or select higher ISO. I always opt for higher ISO. This is the major advantage a digital camera has over a film camera in my opinion, it is so easy to change film speed.

I work on the principle that the composition including focus and depth of field is most important. Then I worry about shutter speed. I like to use about 1/250th of a second on flowers to counteract my movements and the flowers movements. If I need a high ISO to achieve a good exposure with these two variables then so be it. I will underexpose and correct the exposure in post if I have to. A slightly noisy underexposed but well focused image is I believe always preferable to a fuzzy well exposed image.

I can't recall what camera you have but if it has the TaV mode, this is the best thing to use. I set it to 1/250 at f11 and let the camera work out ISO for exposure. Those settings are excellent as a starting point. Noise and exposure can be treated to a large extent in post processing, focus can not.
My camera is a Pentax K100D Super with the 18~55mm kit lens. Although lately, I have been checking out the k-1 and I can feel my knees weaken. ) The ISO is set to automatically adjust between 200 through 1600. So the settings you suggested should prove to be a bonus. Many thanks.

Antonio

06-10-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the composition, I think that the white ends to the petals "trap" the eye and focus attention on the centre of the plant. having said that I agree that having all of the petals in focus and sharp would have added to the photo. A little more detail in the reds would have made the image sing. Cannot fault the technique suggested by Bruce Clark, although I would have taken a punt on f11 and a slightly slower shutter speed. One of the big advantages of digital is that sometimes, because I am not wasting film, I set the camera to "Kalishnikov" mode and fire of a series of several frames at slower shutter speeds, and magically,for some reason, I often get one that is sharp.
06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murra54 Quote
I like the composition, I think that the white ends to the petals "trap" the eye and focus attention on the centre of the plant. having said that I agree that having all of the petals in focus and sharp would have added to the photo. A little more detail in the reds would have made the image sing. Cannot fault the technique suggested by Bruce Clark, although I would have taken a punt on f11 and a slightly slower shutter speed. One of the big advantages of digital is that sometimes, because I am not wasting film, I set the camera to "Kalishnikov" mode and fire of a series of several frames at slower shutter speeds, and magically,for some reason, I often get one that is sharp.
Thank you for your contribution. The red on this flower does not have a lot of detail. The center of the flower is sharp, so if the reds had much detail, it certainly would have shown up around the center. I am just disappointed that the whole flower did not come out in focus. It certainly looked that way when viewing through the viewfinder.

Thanks again,

Antonio

Last edited by Tonytee; 06-10-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction