Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 07:35 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Old image, new processing
Lens: 18-55 Kit Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Island Pass on JMT ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F9.5 

This was one of my favorite photos from my hike last year on the JMT. I have messed around with a few different processing techniques, this is the latest in my attempts to do this area justice. I had to put it into Photoshop because I got camera shake due to not having a tripod last trip. This year I am bringing a tripod.

Sorry I put this in the wrong category ... I cant figure out how to edit the category to landscape.

06-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this photo but that's just me. And I changed the category for you to Landscape. Only a Moderator can change that.
06-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. It can be very rewarding to revisit older images with newer software or recently learned techniques.
06-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i'd personally work on bringing up the luminosity of the foreground just a little, to even it out with the mid ground EV.
i'd also probably add a touch of a gradient overlay to the sky to try and make the colors pop a little more.
my style is also to adjust the black point to get more mid tone contrast.

it's a great photo. has the potential to be special.

06-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Great photo

06-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #6

Very nice, I was just looking through an article here that may help in the future Making the most of handheld
07-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
This was one of my favorite photos from my hike last year on the JMT. I have messed around with a few different processing techniques, this is the latest in my attempts to do this area justice. I had to put it into Photoshop because I got camera shake due to not having a tripod last trip. This year I am bringing a tripod.

Sorry I put this in the wrong category ... I cant figure out how to edit the category to landscape.
Wouw that looks great !
07-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

The ability to rework past images with newer software is one of the greatest advantages of digital photography. I used to look at my RAW converters as having the characteristics of the old film emulsions by manufacturer. Being able to work with my old *ist-Ds images with Capture One v11.2 (installed yesterday) and comparing the "new" results with the old software (Lightroom what ever old version it was) is always a pleasure. With film we never had the ability to re-develop the image, with RAW and updated software we can essentially re-develop the image. We also learn new techniques that are supported by the new software that were not available in the old original programs. Life is good, but time is short and software is not as cheap as I want it to be.

I like the image, it would be interesting for you to post the old and new to see what the differences (if visible on the web) are. I am sure that I would make different tweaks to fit my esthetics, but that is just me being me.

07-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

Great photo!

The only thing I can suggest is to darken just a bit the rightmost part of the mountain. Just to have a gradient in the brightness as it is with the bottom part of the picture.
07-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #10

Nice colors, it looks really great!
08-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote

Definitely a standout image