Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR Variations
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR DiII Camera: K500 

I've been some comparison HDR shots of the same subject using 3 Bracketed Shots post processed with the latest version of Photomatix Essentials Photographic settings and 3 shots with the HDR Auto 1, 2, & 3 pre-sets in the camera.
What do you think is the best way to go use the camera internal HDR or continue bracket shooting?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
06-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I prefer the first image. How did you process that one?

The others show varying degrees of motion blur within the bracket, missed focus, and overprocessing IMO. It's extremely difficult to do good HDR bracketing on a moving subject due to wind, or on a closeup subject handheld. Image #3 shows the most ghosting of the set. Look around the petals and you can see residual images.

Are you using JPG or raw format? If you took a single exposure of that scene in raw, you could probably boost the shadows later and get a good image without any HDR.

In camera HDR rarely works well. Bracket and use DNG format. You can then make decisions later at your PC: process one image in Lightroom or other software, or stack the exposures with HDR.
06-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first shot is the Photomatix process of 3 bracketed Raw shots. I don't know if you are familiar with the software but the software has a function built in that corrects for ghosting caused by motion
The other shots are all internal camera processed in the sequence of "Auto" Setting, #1 Setting, #2 Setting and #3 Setting. It is my understanding the HDR process on the K500 and the K50 & K30 use JPEG files.
06-30-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that number four is best. Sharp where it counts with excellent bokeh and composition. I wish I knew more about HDR, but I am not even in the same ballpark as most people here. Many thanks, interesting and it appears as though you had a lot of fun as well as learning.

Antonio