Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Leather and pink

One of my first attempts at "real" street photography. Please critique all you like!

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
One of my first attempts at "real" street photography. Please critique all you like!
Looks like the photo didn't work... Anyone have any ideas?

06-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you trying to upload the photo? Did you follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html
06-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
How are you trying to upload the photo? Did you follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html
Thank you! I was looking for that!

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:35 PM ----------

Take two

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:36 PM ----------

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 03:35 PM ----------

Take two
Yes!! Please comment all you like (even if you don't like the photo!!)
06-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome!

Is he giving you the time you have to get his photo, or is he signaling something else?

The bright light from the far window draws my eye there. Perhaps a crop to eliminate it.

06-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
You're welcome!

Is he giving you the time you have to get his photo, or is he signaling something else?

The bright light from the far window draws my eye there. Perhaps a crop to eliminate it.
Oh no,he was the teacher, and I just asked him to be as grungy as possible! Tried the crop and it looks much better!
06-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
photolady95 beat me to it, I agree a light crop will do it. By taking off a bit from the right you also cut a bit off the wheel but I think it makes this more appealing even rather than not.

When I experimented with the image I also straightened up the falling lines or though I think they also work. Matter of taste I guess. But a little more foreground crop and a smidgen from the top I think would also benefit. But all this is entirely a matter of taste. You finish up with a pretty tight picture now but it directs the attention to the mean persona, right ?
A bit more Clarity perhaps ?

Cheers

P.S. I hope it is not his bike, that would ruin his image !

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:12 AM.
06-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried a different crop added a bit more contrast and darkened highlight a bit. the light in the second window I found distracting too.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.
06-26-2016, 01:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
photolady95 beat me to it, I agree a light crop will do it. By taking off a bit from the right you also cut a bit off the wheel but I think it makes this more appealing even rather than not.

When I experimented with the image I also straightened up the falling lines or though I think they also work. Matter of taste I guess. But a little more foreground crop and a smidgen from the top I think would also benefit. But all this is entirely a matter of taste. You finish up with a pretty tight picture now but it directs the attention to the mean persona, right ?
A bit more Clarity perhaps ?

Cheers

P.S. I hope it is not his bike, that would ruin his image !
Nice work! I was pleased with the original, but now that I see it,the crop works way better! What do you mean by clarity? Haha no it's not his bike we found it leaning there . LCheers!

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 01:05 AM ----------

I tried a different crop added a bit more contrast and darkened highlight a bit. the light in the second window I found distracting too.
Now this one brings out the grungyness I was hoping for! Thanks
06-26-2016, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now this one brings out the grungyness I was hoping for! Thanks
Glad you liked it. And you're welcome!
06-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean by clarity?
Most PP software has it, Clarity - similar to Detail Strength under Tone mapping.
Here is the same image with Detail Strength increased so you can see the difference. This is over done - just for illustration. Notice the white halos around edges, particularly around his hat. This is more a problem when applying the treatment on JPGs. However some people prefer a softer image.
Most people these days go a bit overboard with this together with over saturating colours.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:12 AM.
06-27-2016, 04:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Most PP software has it, Clarity - similar to Detail Strength under Tone mapping.
Here is the same image with Detail Strength increased so you can see the difference. This is over done - just for illustration. Notice the white halos around edges, particularly around his hat. This is more a problem when applying the treatment on JPGs. However some people prefer a softer image.
Most people these days go a bit overboard with this together with over saturating colours.

Cheers
I see. I don't have any P.P. software, so no wonder I didn't know! I really should get Lightroom.. it seems really useful
06-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use and used PhotoShop Elements on your photo. I do not like Lightroom because there are some things it won't do that Elements will. Plus it's cheaper to buy and not cloud oriented.

A good free program I use is called FastStone (albeit for windows only) it has basic editing features but does some things that PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements does.

Read what it can do here.