Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Portraits with Vivitar 135mm f/2.8
Lens: Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Camera: Sony Alpha RII Photo Location: London ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F5.6 

Here are some pics I've taken today with my Vivitar. Not sure about the aperture (manual..) but they should all be between 5.6 and 9. I don't like the color rendition too much, but this lens is seriously sharp. Even for this high definition camera (Sony Alpha RII 42mgpx), this little lens seems to provide enough detail and seems to even resolve the sensor. I know there is a also a better version, 135 2.5 CLOSE focus, relatively rare. If anybody has samples, I'd love to see them, to get an idea of how much better that lens really is.
Cheers, Marco

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
07-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 135mm lens seems to be a "lost" focal length, particularly with APS-C sensors. Too long for portrait, not long enough for sports or nature. These images show how useful the 135mm FL can be. Either on a Crop or FF sensor it gives nice depth-of-field and this lens looks nicely sharp! Nice series of images!
07-10-2016, 02:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment. Yes, on a crop sensor this would be a bit awkward, but on a Friday the length is great for non intrusive portraits. Anyone knows how this vivitar compares to its close focus sister? And what about other 135s, like eg the similarly spec-ed Tamron Adaptall 2? Cheers!
07-11-2016, 03:06 AM   #4

lovely shots which capture the mood very well, they could do with a bit of PP to boost contrast and brightness.

The fault that is glaringly obvious to me is why didn't you turn the camera through 90 degrees to get them in portrait mode, that way you would have cut out the uneccessary stuff at the sides and got the top of her head in the picture.

07-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
lovely shots which capture the mood very well, they could do with a bit of PP to boost contrast and brightness.

The fault that is glaringly obvious to me is why didn't you turn the camera through 90 degrees to get them in portrait mode, that way you would have cut out the uneccessary stuff at the sides and got the top of her head in the picture.
Yeah, you're right, Ray - the framing is less than ideal! But sometimes I like to keep some of the 'environment' in. I do realize that some details mean nothing to others, but to me / family, even a rubbish bin in the background sometimes makes the photo less 'abstract', placing the subject in a precise context (home), even if somehow unconsciously. Having said that, yeah, junk is junk. And chopping off a baby's head isn't very pro :-D