Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

I recently got my first DSLR, i chose Pentax. Just wanted some good ole criticism.
Lens: DA 16-85mm Camera: KS-2 Photo Location: Memphis ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 

Thanks a lot. Brutally criticize me haha, helps me learn more in less time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
07-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks good to me, although it looks like the same photo posted twice.
07-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks good to me, although it looks like the same photo posted twice.
It did...My first post and I'm trying to figure out how to edit in order to delete one of them
07-15-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nautical_sausage Quote
I like the concept.

I'd prefer the image taken a little later in the evening, but I understand the choice of timing.

Compositionally there's too much dead space along the right edge and along the top.

Everything to the right of the street lights is monotonous.

Everything sky related above the top of the far left power pole (or center two small clouds) is empty space.

If you had changed you PoV a little more left and down, it may (depending the road) bring more the of the sweeping curve through the image, giving more drama.

I also think your true vertical is about 1 to 1.5 degrees counter clockwise. All the towers and streetlights lean to the right.

Last note, if you enjoy and plan on taking more of these long exposure images, especially at twilight, pick up a couple 2 or 3 stop neutral density filters. That would have allowed you to drop your f stop down to f11ish where diffraction won't take such a toll on resolution. The image is noticeably softer than it could be.

07-15-2016, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It did...My first post and I'm trying to figure out how to edit in order to delete one of them

Try clicking the "Edit Message" button, then delete one of the two instances of the photo.
07-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you did about the best that you could with the subject you had (regarding the framing, lighting, shutter speed, etc.), but I feel like a different area might have yielded a more interesting photo.
07-16-2016, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are some nice colours here! I love the long exposure effect. I feel like it could use more foreground. I also feel the placement of the road would be stronger if the view was moved to the left so that the contrast between the darker, grassy areas on the left and the more geometric, bright colourful road area would be emphasised. Combining this with cropping the top off a little (or recomposing so that there's less of it) would lead to a stronger framing and allow the electrical towers to have a greater contribution.
07-17-2016, 02:49 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Just wanted some good ole criticism
Interesting images, but I find your choice of forum name even more interesting... care to elaborate?

07-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good choice of camera ;-)

I think your picture here is well done. The cars make their lines with the headlights, you still have a lot of surrounding to see. Swell.
07-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with the photos. I think they are well done for that location. However, I would like to see more interest outside the light trails, like shooting where there are buildings by the road, or a lake or bridge or some type of landmark. I like that you shot where the road curves instead of a straight stretch of road. It gives it more interest.
07-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

good colors and feel of transport due to the car lights and into the light powerlines. Composition a bit static with the horizon in the middle.
07-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

Nicely composed and good use of long exposure for abstract effect.
10-23-2019, 01:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice colors
10-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that I'd crop some of the top off.
10-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Very nice picture for a newcomer! Bravo!

Since you did ask what could be improved, first I would use f/11 aperture with ISO 100.

I think the composition is fine, and it's also ok to see a picture at this time of day since the greens are, well, still showing up green I wouldn't crop too much, maybe just to give it the allegedly perfect ratio of 1.618 or maybe widescreen 16:9.