Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chrysalises

I'm toying with a few different ways to present chrysalises, and looking for any thoughts or comments, etc.

On the left is a Vanessa virginiensis (american lady butterfly), and is roughly 21mm long. Taken at f/16, iso 200, 1/125s, one photo. It has a smidge of grounding (the silk threads at the top), it's uniformly lit to focus on it's bright colours (small softbox on the right, and white card for fill on the left), is hanging in it's 'natural orientation', and a background colour that I hope enhances the little goldy, yellow bits in the chrysalis itself (but I'm thinking could have been a bit brighter).

On the right is a Papilio cresphontes (giant swallowtail butterfly), and is roughly 35mm long. Taken at f/16, iso 80, 1/125s, 10 stacked photos. It has no grounding (silly thing did not attach itself properly to a branch, so I photographed it from above on glass), has higher contrast lighting to show off more texture (small softbox from the left), is either sideways or upside down from it's natural orientation (the head is at the top of the photo), and has a background colour that evokes one of it's common names (orange dog).

So, how do they compare? Do they 'fit' side by side on the same wall despite some of their moral differences? Are they interesting enough to stand alone?

Stacking multiple photos will be the way to go. Though more work, there really is added sharpness at f/8 compared to f/16- I'm also thinking I'd like to print these quite large someday where this will make a bigger difference compared to a small sized version on the web. Being able to hit front to back sharpness is pretty great. However it kinda shocking just how much squirming these things do when you look close enough between frames.

Thanks for any input!

07-17-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the version of the left more, mainly because the point of attachment at the top makes it appear more natural. I'd sharpen it a bit, though, as the upper portion of the cocoon remains a bit soft.

That said, I really like the background you've got going in the other shot! It matches the color of the shell nicely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd sharpen it a bit, though, as the upper portion of the cocoon remains a bit soft.
It's fading to "pretty out of focus" as you move upwards. I think I had a smidgeon of room to focus into the picture without losing the front-most bits, but not much. Macro rail arrived in-between taking the left one and the right one, so in the future I'll be stacking to cover this. I think even 3 or 4 shots would have made a huge difference here, some experimentation is in order (and Nass's handy calculator).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That said, I really like the background you've got going in the other shot! It matches the color of the shell nicely.
Thanks!

I appreciate your input!
07-18-2016, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #4

I think the right one stands out. Probably because of a more interesting background, with its shift in coulour and a structure with more detail on the thing itself. It also has the air of an old artifact... Very nice both of them though!

07-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rednax Quote
It also has the air of an old artifact...
That's nice to hear, I was also thinking it looked ancient even though it was only a day or two old.

Thanks for the feedback