Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Black&White critique please

I've been editing this one long enough to lose my judgement.
What do you think? More improvements, or leave it as is?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
07-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the composition is great. I'd just crop the left edge ever so slightly tighter so that the weird part of the railing disappears.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam.
My initial though was the same, but the contest I've been editing this image for is Curves, so I decided to leave more "curves" from the left as well. I submitted image already (the deadline is tonight), but had that doubt about framing.
I'm really terrible for choosing or editing for contests, just getting lost all the time, overthinking, or overdoing.
07-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe this is a very wonderful black & white photograph. Everything about it is superb and very interesting. It is easy to see how anyone would experience sensory overload by thinking on it for too long. Many thanks for sharing such a beautiful capture.

Rgds,

Antonio

07-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Antonio.
It was the image I've trashed initially because I've not seen the potential in color. As I told, often I just can't see my pictures from "outside". It's hard to be own judge. Then I see the winners and think, damn, I submitted the wrong image, again How I have not seen it?
The contests are fun and educational; I'm just entering into it. It stimulates doing better job, but overdoing is there as well.
07-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep as is.
07-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Thanks, Antonio.
It was the image I've trashed initially because I've not seen the potential in color. As I told, often I just can't see my pictures from "outside". It's hard to be own judge. Then I see the winners and think, damn, I submitted the wrong image, again How I have not seen it?
The contests are fun and educational; I'm just entering into it. It stimulates doing better job, but overdoing is there as well.
Again I agree it is difficult to be objective when scrutinizing your own work. Try to think of it as someone who just handed you a color print and asked what you would do differently. Remember, it is fine that others like your work, but it is most important that you are pleased with your efforts. For example, if I listened to everyone's suggestions, I would be left with just cloning, healing and perhaps a lot of noise. Gee, I like that last part. I truly like your photo, and if I were you, I would not hesitate to send it off to a few trade journals like Photography Today, Life, etc. Thanks again.

Antonio

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-16-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling error.
07-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After receiving two honorable mentions for two monochrome pictures at local contest , I probably will stop telling everybody that I don't know how to do b&w.
Thanks for help, guys!
07-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice image and composition. This one is already cropped. Maybe there are other cropping opportunities. Could you show the whole frame?
08-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like how the shadows point towards her. It took me a second to consciously notice them but for me that's what draws in my eye and balances the image, the railing alone would be too little.
10-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I've been editing this one long enough to lose my judgement.
What do you think? More improvements, or leave it as is?
nice contrast
10-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would try to make the subject ever so slightly brighter to fill another "zone" in the zone system. But that's my taste.
Otherwise, great picture!
10-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic image, Lana - nice work!
10-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since this thread zombified - @micromacro what did you ever decide. Did you stick with this version or tinker more?
11-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Banned

Is that Pink?