Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Little John
Lens: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 Camera: Pentax k-x Photo Location: Lublin, Poland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

Made with old good pentax k-x and sigma 17-50 F2.8 @2.8
I took this photo while my son was sitting on the automated swing. The sun was behind him and he was swinging while photo was taken, and also I had to take down the camera and smile for him to smile back, so got only like few seconds to get back camera, focus and shoot.
In lightroom exposure was corrected and shadows brightened to get the face more visible, brush used to clear skin and make it a little more even.

I tried to be on same height as him, keep almost zero degree angle or even be a little lower. Also the window on a left wall behind me gave a nice light in his eyes and a little reflected light. The top of the picture behind him is a little too bright but well.. you can't have everything :P but i guess it actually works as does not take watcher focus of Johns face

Any advice on what can be done differently/better?

07-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good job. It's a very nice photo - you caught him with a great expression on his face.

Your Lightroom work is also very good - it doesn't look "over-worked." I think the backlighting has caused the face to look a little flat. However, I have no idea how to fix it, and I am not sure any non-photographer would even notice it.

Recently I have been taking pictures of my new grandchildren (twins), and I have quickly learned that taking pictures of infants is definitely not easy. I seem to have about a 1% success rate.

My respect for baby photographers has grown exponentially.
07-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to back the previous comments on the difficulties of photographing children. My daughter-in-law seems to have the knack of producing brilliant photos of our first Grandson using her phone camera. Much better than I can with the DSLR. The image quality is not there but heck her composition, and ability catch the moment are brilliant and more than make up for the limitations of her phone camera.

In terms of this photo I would increase the depth of field slightly, f4/f5 rather than f2.8. This would help with focus on the face without increasing detail in the background too much. The lighting is good, apart, as you say, the bright patch at the top. Best tip is keep practicing.
09-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hello john

Nice shoot !