Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

First post from my backyard.
Lens: 50 - 200 Zoomed to 200 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Back Yard ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9 

My first post, let me know your thoughts.

Note the mesquite leaves dripping with rain drops.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
wow! love all the greenery, nice back yard! The bird is a nice surprise!

Liz in Calgary
09-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice image, and Red Shouldered Hawks are gorgeous.
09-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree...nice backyard! I think you may have two pictures here, though. One is of the hawk. For that purpose, it's too centered in the frame and too small. The other pic may be the rain drops dripping from the mesquite that you mentioned. If that's what you want to show...get closer and show the raindrops. Effective photography is a bit like explaining things to a 3 yr old. You have to say, "Stop! Come here. Look at THIS!"

09-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

I basically agree with TaoMaas about this image, although moments ago in the Critique section of Pentaxforums I defended another photographer's image as a storytelling image.
In this image, you might try cropping significantly from the left. Although that unfortunately would have the hawk looking out of the frame, you might prefer the result without so much of the extremely out of focus greenery at left.
Best wishes,
Stu
09-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys.
My limitation is 200mm lens and I was not able to position myself to get the Hawk in the frame larger.
I appreciate the comments of two potential pictures.
I noticed that after it was posted to the forum that the rain drops do not show up as well as in the editing software (lesson learned) as it does on a website..
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all Wrangler01, welcome to the Forum. I like your photo a lot. It is possible to have the subject enlarged as that would aid in the interest area. As mentioned already, the subject is too centered. So you need to be informed about what is called, "The Rule of Thirds.". Essentially imagine a tic-tac-toe board with intersecting lines. Moving from right to left, the first intersection is known as, "Point of Interest", so this is where you want your subject located. It also works the same on the opposite side. You can find information on this rule on Youtube and there are numerous books on the subject. I think you made a damn fine effort here and do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

Regards,

Antonio