Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Requesting some feedback
Lens: 18-55 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Peggys Point Lighthouse ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9 

This picture represents a number of firsts for me:

- My first attempt at stacking pictures to remove tourists/other photographers.
- my first use of Silver Efex Pro
- my first posting of an image

- Have I over sharpened?
- Is the contrast too much?
- Does it look over processed?
- Would the image support darker skies?

The picture is of the lighthouse at Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia.

thanks in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the processing is perfect. Not too much, not too little.

The only change I'd make is a compositional one. I'd like to see more of the sky and less of the foreground. A slight crop from the bottom might be just all that's needed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like it, though I tweaked it because it was easy to do :-) I normally don't mind something leaning in if there is an element to balance it on the other side.
Name:  PeggysPointLightHousev2.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  369.1 KB
09-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I like it, though I tweaked it because it was easy to do :-) I normally don't mind something leaning in if there is an element to balance it on the other side.
Attachment 324175
@adam: thanks, will give it a try.

@SpecialK: How did you do that? I have LR6 and CS3, no context aware stuff for me, if that was how you did it.

09-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PoppaTom Quote
@SpecialK: How did you do that? I have LR6 and CS3, no context aware stuff for me, if that was how you did it.

Photoshop Elements 13 (and probably earlier as well).

It's under "Filters" (of all places) ---> Correct camera distortion. Then choose the slider for tilting in or out. Also can fix barrel or pincushion distortion, left-right slant, and vignetting there.

"Save As" jpg (otherwise it will make a PSD).
09-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Photoshop Elements 13 (and probably earlier as well).

It's under "Filters" (of all places) ---> Correct camera distortion. Then choose the slider for tilting in or out. Also can fix barrel or pincushion distortion, left-right slant, and vignetting there.

"Save As" jpg (otherwise it will make a PSD).
I think sky/foreground balance is fine. Fix the leaning lighthouse though. The sky looks like it was shot through a polarizer which is also fine by me.
09-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This picture represents a number of firsts for me:

- My first attempt at stacking pictures to remove tourists/other photographers.
- my first use of Silver Efex Pro
- my first posting of an image

- Have I over sharpened?
- Is the contrast too much?
- Does it look over processed?
- Would the image support darker skies?

The picture is of the lighthouse at Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia.

thanks in advance
G'Day mate, some feedback as requested:

- My first attempt at stacking pictures to remove tourists/other photographers. You did this well as I had no idea that you needed to remove tourists etc
- my first use of Silver Efex Pro Looks good to me
- my first posting of an image Cool, and there'll be more to come I hope.

- Have I over sharpened? The image is a bit small so it's hard to tell. I can't see any haloing around edges or heavy black/white lines so I'm guessing not. Check the 'blue' parts of the sky for noise. If you see noise there it might be oversharpened or needing more masking slider in the detail panel. Preferably you sharpen on a mask so you can select what you sharpen instead of doing it globally.
- Is the contrast too much? Nope
- Does it look over processed? Nope, but I agree with Special K about the leaning Lighthouse, the correction for this can be found in the 'Transform' panel in LR6.
- Would the image support darker skies? You could do this but it would likely be at the expense of looking natural. A good way of checking that is to use the blue and aqua channels only in LR6. Darken the aqua then the blue going to the extreme to start with and then drawing it back to find the correct balance.

The picture is of the lighthouse at Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia. A place I'd love to visit.

Tas

Edit: I forgot to mention that I keep being drawn to the rock in the left bottom corner of the frame. I don't think it contributes to the image but if you're going back there to a similar composition IMHO I'd leave that out.

09-05-2016, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Updated version

Thank you all for the feedback, it has been very helpful.

Re: Sharpening, this version is larger let me know if it appears overly sharpened.

I have straightened the lighthouse as best I could, although the top still seems a little off.

@Tas: If I crop to remove the lower left rock, the edge of the frame gets too close to the lighthouse, so I darkened the rock and hopefully it will not be as distracting and I also brought up the bottom a bit to also limit the size of the rock..

Unfortunately it is a 4,800km trip to recompose so will need to do it in camera.

thanks again
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Sharpening, this version is larger let me know if it appears overly sharpened.

I have straightened the lighthouse as best I could, although the top still seems a little off.

@Tas: If I crop to remove the lower left rock, the edge of the frame gets too close to the lighthouse, so I darkened the rock and hopefully it will not be as distracting and I also brought up the bottom a bit to also limit the size of the rock..

Unfortunately it is a 4,800km trip to recompose so will need to do it in camera.

thanks again
Yes, the difference is noticeable with that rock, it blends closer in with those in the background.

The leaning lighhouse will become more of an issue as it gets closer to the edge of frame or due to your position taking the image. The wider you go the more noticeable it is so you can fix it to a point in post then it ruins the shot which I wouldn't recommend as it's a nice image. But there's some pointers for next time I hope.

4,800km eh? That's a bit of a trip to recompose an image.

It' a good image and I don't think it's over-sharpened, so hopefully the feedback has been of use.

Hooroo mate,

Tas
09-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Version three is far better, did you try to darken the blue sky out of interest?

I admit to liking a bit more punch in my images, but this is just down to personal taste, attached a quick tweak if it were mine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-06-2016 at 02:39 PM.
09-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been to this very spot at Peggy's Cove. This place is all about the fantastic rocks so I have to disagree with Adam to get rid of some of them. I like the original image although the leaning lighthouse is a bit distracting.
09-08-2016, 06:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I for one prefer the uncorrected version, because in the corrected one the vertical and horizontal parts of the lighthouse are no longer perpendicular to each other
09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks again
I like your updated version very much!
09-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also prefer the third version.
I'm only 48km away and as far as I'm concerned the rocks randomly deposited there by mother nature after the last ice age brings character to the scene. Removing the rocks even in a photo would have the same effect of misrepresenting the natural beauty of the area as erecting a proposed fence to protect the visiting humans who ignore posted warnings and the power of the sea from being washed away after venturing too close to the water's edge.

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 09-08-2016 at 12:41 PM.