Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Desertscape, I see what you are saying. This is a very nice landscape photograph, I like the technique.

Many thanks,

Antonio

---------- Post added 09-10-16 at 04:05 PM ----------

You are correct in saying that the time of day can be crucial when taking photos. I am looking at the original upload and I do not see where even harsh sunlight has caused a problem. In other words I do not notice any overexposure or bleached hot spots. The ground is burnt, yes, but that is due to the atypical low amount of rainfall this time of year. I am not sure what to do about empty blue sky, but I will continue to seek out the best way to get around it.

Once again, many thanks to you and everyone who offered their assistance.

Rgds,

Tony
Tony, the problem with the sun is manifold: I will briefly describe 3 reasons why you should avoid the midday sun if possible.
1. it can create bright specular highlights especially off leaves. These highlights can affect the camera's metering. If you expose for the highlights, the rest of the image may be underexposed. If you expose for the shadows the highlights will blow out. A polarizing filter is an effective way to control this.
2. The shadows from an overhead sun conceal rather than reveal texture. They conceal rather than reveal depth.
3. The colour of the light from the sun low in the sky changes, becoming warmer. This tends to give a more pleasant hue to landscapes. The GOLDEN hour.

One can not always be in a given place at the right time. I guess the answer it to be aware of the issues and use other techniques to compensate.

Two examples same day different vineyards, one near noon the other at 5pm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
« Juniper | Big Red. »