Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #1

Landscape and memories
Lens: Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR Camera: Pentax K-S2 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F7.1 

Hi Guys,

It would be great if you could provide your thoughts on the following images. Me and my cousins had the opportunity to do some trekking here 2 months ago but I only was able to process it today. I like this image in particular so would your thoughts on how I processed these.

This is the original:

1. I felt that I could play around with this photo so first I tried invoking a vintage/nostalgic feel. My fundamental recipe is just to cut the blacks, increase the contrast then apply a slight blue overcast. I know it isn't perfect so could you guys give me any tips on how to improve this? Also, just as it is now, does it invoke a sense of nostalgia?

2. Next, I did what I usually do and went for a more realistic feel. This is how I normally like my photos done but any critique you guys can provide will be great as well.

3. Lastly, I made a BW version as well for good measure. This is the type of processing I do least and know least about so I'd like critique on this as well.

Here's all of them side-by-side:

Guys, be as blunt as you can please.

09-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I most like the original.
09-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oh I see. Is it a matter of oversaturating my realistic edit? It was almost noon at the time by the way.
09-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

I'm by no means a photography expert, but in my opinion there's no 'bad' way to process a photo.

That being said, I learned in photography class that you want to try to achieve the darkest darks and the whitest whites (which may be pretty obvious :P)
I really like the second picture for just that reason. Looking at all four of them placed together, that's the one that first catches my eye.
Nostalgia wise I would choose the third one, it has that slightly worn look that older pictures would have.

All in all they're all beautiful! I really like the composition, my eye is immediately drawn to the tower up top.

Well done!

09-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trigger.happy Quote
I felt that I could play around with this photo so first I tried invoking a vintage/nostalgic feel. My fundamental recipe is just to cut the blacks, increase the contrast then apply a slight blue overcast. I know it isn't perfect so could you guys give me any tips on how to improve this? Also, just as it is now, does it invoke a sense of nostalgia?
Imo, almost. From monitor it looks like washed out color picture, but not aged color photo. The warmth is missing.
09-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all your inputs guys.

I've been able to do some more tests during the past week and have come up with more ways to do my vintage/nostalgic edit. I personally prefer the cool edit for this one since this shot was taken in the morning before lunch. Let me know what you guys think!

Cool

Warm