Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Snoopers Rock
Lens: Pentax 15mm F2.8 Camera: Pentax k3 Photo Location: Prentice Cooper State Park TN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F11 

I recently took my K3 and 15mm limited to capture the splendor of Snooper Rock overlook TN.
Could I have improved these shots? A B&W polarizing filter was used to make the clouds pop!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great captures, well executed. I am just now getting into landscape photography, so it seems I can learn a lot from your terrific work.

Many thanks,

Antonio
09-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
critique, photography, rock

Thank you Antonio, I was very, much the landscape photographer in the days of 35mm and over the past four years have transitioned into digital. Digital allows much more dynamic range. Stick with Pentax DSLR's and lenses and you'll do fine.
09-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would stich them together into a pano. Snoopers has a great view with the right weather. Fall colors are great.

09-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would stich them together into a pano. Snoopers has a great view with the right weather. Fall colors are great.
Thanks, I'll try and go back in a few weeks.
09-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice landscapes. The top one has to my eye a more interesting composition with the S curve of the river. If anything I would trim a little off the bottom. The polariser is nice on the clouds but you have to be careful with wide angles as you can get patchy results. The top right of the top image seems to not received the benefit of the CPL. If you are considering stitching, the polariser can cause weird effects.
09-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Nice landscapes. The top one has to my eye a more interesting composition with the S curve of the river. If anything I would trim a little off the bottom. The polariser is nice on the clouds but you have to be careful with wide angles as you can get patchy results. The top right of the top image seems to not received the benefit of the CPL. If you are considering stitching, the polariser can cause weird effects.
Thanks for the critique, I appreciate the tip on the CPL and wide angle. Will put that to good use.

09-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Your location looks like a great fall colors shot but since you shot it as it was, you did okay. I shoot both digital and film and if I had come across this scene, I would have used film, either Ektar 100 or velvia 50. I would have included less rock in the foreground. Polarizing also removes reflection from leaves, so that would give the trees a deeper color.
09-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Mid-day light is always bright and contrasty. Would like to see this early or late day.