Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 01:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another attempt at landscape photography.
Lens: Pentax 18~55mm Camera: Pentax K100D Super Photo Location: Cooper Mountain Winery ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9.5 

This shot I did a lot of PPE work. I cropped down a lot, worked the brightness and vignetting quite a bit. It is perhaps the most interesting or pleasing photo to look at so far in my exotic collection of fine art. )) I rather like it actually, with some perspective provided by the lane or path. Well, please feel free to offer any comments/suggestions/solutions. Greatly appreciated. We could add some mystery and ask the question, What is at the end of the path? I ain't tellin.

Rgds,

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 09-23-2016 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Additional Information
09-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony.
I am following this series with great interest.

This one picks up on a lot of the tips made by myself and others.
  • Blank sky, not much you can do about it but minimize it, which you have done
  • Foreground and background in focus
  • Exposure good
  • No intruding branches or twigs
  • Receding lines give an impression of depth
It is missing something however, a story. Something of interest to the viewer. It could be something in the foreground for instance like the barrel in previous examples. This aspect of landscape photography, call it style if you will, is something you have to develop yourself and it will come with practice. Without something for a viewer to latch onto this is just a well executed image recording the fact you were in a vineyard. This an art form I am still learning myself. As I look back on earlier work I now cringe and wonder why I even bothered to take the shot.

Another thought has just occurred to me. This image according to the exif data was taken at 55mm. Try using the wider angles of your lens, closer to 18mm. This may help in giving prominence to closer objects and lessening prominence of background objects, giving a greater impression of depth.

Cheers
09-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your constructive comments and encouraging words. Greatly appreciated.

Tony