Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Old picture

I edited old picture. Just can't see if it's not too much.
The first is before, and the bottom is after. Which one do you prefer?

09-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Top one by far. The screen texture on the bottom is unnatural and doesn't add anything. The colors also are more natural looking on the first (top) one.
09-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the first image looks more natural as the second looks like you're viewing the door through a fly screen, as it's uniformily applied across the whole image.

Having said this, the texture adds a nice look to the rust sections on the lock hasp. It would look more natural if you reduce the layer opacity so the grey lines aren't so obvious too.

You could try inverting the texture layer then painting the effect in on a mask so it only applies to the areas it enhances like the rusty parts of the image.

Hope the feedback is of use.

Tas
09-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, guys. That what I suspected- overdone It's hard to start playing and keep the level of not overdoing, or doing it wrong. I definately will continue to play with layers. It's a learning curve.

Tas, I will try inverting the layer, thanks, did not learn that part yet.

09-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Thank you, guys. That what I suspected- overdone It's hard to start playing and keep the level of not overdoing, or doing it wrong. I definately will continue to play with layers. It's a learning curve.

Tas, I will try inverting the layer, thanks, did not learn that part yet.
What program are you using Photoshop?
09-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Elements 14.
09-27-2016, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I like to do is wait a day or so after editing an image before posting it. This can help in avoiding getting carried away in the editing process and going too far. When I do I almost always reduce saturation and other tweaks a little.
09-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
One thing I like to do is wait a day or so after editing an image before posting it. This can help in avoiding getting carried away in the editing process and going too far. When I do I almost always reduce saturation and other tweaks a little.
Yes, that's true. I also can't judge freshly uploaded pictures right away. I don't like any of them. A few hours later I can see some of them are not that bad.
Same with editing.
As for saturation, the camera plays role as well, when I set K-1 to landscape colors, omg, with old lenses images came oversaturated. Lesson learned.
That point and shoot camera I took picture with always was producing colorful images however. I want to preserve the colors of that particular image, but add subtle more depth of colors if it's possible.

Last edited by micromacro; 09-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also prefer the top, but do try Tas' suggestion, your version of elements supports layer masks. And try different textures too

I also like the advice about returning to an image at a later time. I'm always wary of what I call "Slider Desensitization" - once you crank something up to the max (say saturation to 100), sane levels that you'd normally be happy with (say saturation of 10 or 15) look dull by comparison and you end up at a level you'd consider gaudy on a good day (say saturation of 50 or more). It's like coming out of a rock concert and having to shout at everyone for the next 3 hours due to temporary deafness, except in this case it's your eyes that you've damaged (no blindness at all caused by either of your examples, I'm speaking in general terms here).