Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Landscape shot for Canvas Print
Lens: DA*55 1.4 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Boone, NC 

Here are 3 landscape shots I have taken recently and I cant decide which one I would like to print on Canvas. Does anyone have any critiques on any of the photos? How could they be better in terms of framing or post processing. Thanks for the input.

09-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A beautiful part of the world--I was over in Mars Hill a couple of times this summer and was really impressed by the views. I'm no PP guru, but to me the first one would make a nice black and white if you cranked curves a bit and maybe put a digital grad filter on the sky to bring back the clouds. The second shot might benefit from some targeted adjustment to bring up the curve of the road--a 9:16 crop might be nice as well. Otherwise, the third might be a good candidate for the new "de-haze" functions that are being touted...wish I knew how they worked!
09-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mr_spencer Quote
critique
I'm not qualified to critique but why not print all three?
09-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
I'm not qualified to critique but why not print all three?
Mostly due to limited wall space

CreationBear, thanks for the PP advice, I will take another look at all three in Lightroom and try to apply some of what you had mentioned

09-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMO: #1 likely should be rotated (it seems like the skyline has a definite tilt). #3 I think should be cropped--dropping the bottom (the row of trees and the house don't feel like they belong). Before you make a large print I would print them small and live with them for a while.
09-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Firstly, none would print very well the way they are. You will be greatly disappointed.
Secondly, the colours are not right. It looks very much like as if the image was taken after a big forest fire with the air full of smoke. (of course this could have been the case, I don't know.) The sky looks strange to me. If you shot these in RAW format then there is a good chance to rescue them.
Thirdly, The horizon is tilted, in fact this was the first thing I noticed.

Also, you posted these photographs with the wrong parameters, as a result the upload engine here degrades images terribly when they are JPGs greater than 72DPI and bigger than 1024 one side.

I have no idea, did you do any PP on these images? In any case, I had a bit of a fiddle with one of them but it does not look brilliant. Again, the sky, I don't know what to make of it.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
09-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Firstly, none would print very well the way they are. You will be greatly disappointed.
Secondly, the colours are not right. It looks very much like as if the image was taken after a big forest fire with the air full of smoke. (of course this could have been the case, I don't know.) The sky looks strange to me. If you shot these in RAW format then there is a good chance to rescue them.
Thirdly, The horizon is tilted, in fact this was the first thing I noticed.

Also, you posted these photographs with the wrong parameters, as a result the upload engine here degrades images terribly when they are JPGs greater than 72DPI and bigger than 1024 one side.

I have no idea, did you do any PP on these images? In any case, I had a bit of a fiddle with one of them but it does not look brilliant. Again, the sky, I don't know what to make of it.

Cheers
Thanks for the input, this was the best I could get the colors to look in the sky with my PP skills, although I may have gone a little warm with the white balance. I am not sure if I blew out the sky at the top of the frame. It may have been a hazy day but from what I remember it looked clear so I am not sure about the smokey look. Thanks for the info about the sizing of the photos.