Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 10:04 AM - 17 Likes   #1

Sunset at Delicate Arch
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Arches National Park, UT ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F10 

Sunset shot I took last week on a road trip through Utah and Arizona. I saw many pictures of the Delicate Arch, but wanted something different than the 99% of shots on google images. Decided on a side angle shooting straight into the setting sun and really like the end result. Getting the people out of the frame was a fun challenge
Let me know what you think and feel free to critique.

10-04-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
Sunset shot I took last week on a road trip through Utah and Arizona. I saw many pictures of the Delicate Arch, but wanted something different than the 99% of shots on google images. Decided on a side angle shooting straight into the setting sun and really like the end result. Getting the people out of the frame was a fun challenge
Let me know what you think and feel free to critique.
Fantastic!
10-04-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this is great!!
10-04-2016, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific photo. Thanks for sharing.

10-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent capture!
10-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That's a quality shot, well done.
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That's a keeper, for sure.

You asked for critique. Colors and contrast look perfect as-is. If you feel like a processing exercise, there's a tiny spot of green flare at the 8:00 position near the sun.

10-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

You asked for critique. Colors and contrast look perfect as-is. If you feel like a processing exercise, there's a tiny spot of green flare at the 8:00 position near the sun.
Thank you! There were more flares unfortunately with this lens shooting into the sun and I got rid of the small and bright ones but left that big one alone since it was too much of a pain to deal with it Thanks for noticing nonetheless.

---------- Post added 10-05-16 at 08:50 AM ----------

Thank you all @th1952 @gelokrol @Mr. Ed @Fries @Kerrowdown
10-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
Banned

<spam deleted by mod>

My latest webiste. Any feedback is appreciated. All pictures are taken with Pentax equipments ( K7-K5-K3-K3 ii)

Thank you

Last edited by Parallax; 10-08-2016 at 08:18 AM.
10-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely, thanks for sharing.
10-06-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

I just realized you're not talking about the big and dark one at 8:00 but near the corner, instead you're thinking about the one closer to the sun (which you mentioned, my mind just skipped that information for some reason ) - I see that now and yes I'll try to work on that one.
10-07-2016, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This if a fantastic image. Timing is everything with this as the sun sets quickly and knowing your camera's buttons and levers is paramount. And people, well they always seem to know the perfect time to get into the frame, don't they.

As for critique, well the only very slight annoyance would be the lens flare, which in this situation is very hard to avoid. But if it bothers you you can try to get rid of it in post. The green spot is probably the most noticeable flare but is also the easy one to correct. The bigger one behind the rock, left foreground, however is more difficult to correct but can be left as is. However I have made a feeble attempt to lessen the impact. Not sure if I have succeeded.

Once again a very fine image. Thanks for posting I enjoy looking at it.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
10-07-2016, 05:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, that's one of a kind!

I honestly don't feel like criticizing it, at all. It's great. I'm a sucker for starbursts so if I had been there with you, I'd have used the DA21 to bet a nicer effect around the Sun, but that's not critique, that's gear.

Wow.
10-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
feel free to critique
More of a speculation than a critique - can't help but wonder if it would benefit from a slight lifting of the shadows.

Last edited by wildman; 10-07-2016 at 01:25 PM.
10-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This if a fantastic image. Timing is everything with this as the sun sets quickly and knowing your camera's buttons and levers is paramount. And people, well they always seem to know the perfect time to get into the frame, don't they.

As for critique, well the only very slight annoyance would be the lens flare, which in this situation is very hard to avoid. But if it bothers you you can try to get rid of it in post. The green spot is probably the most noticeable flare but is also the easy one to correct. The bigger one behind the rock, left foreground, however is more difficult to correct but can be left as is. However I have made a feeble attempt to lessen the impact. Not sure if I have succeeded.

Once again a very fine image. Thanks for posting I enjoy looking at it.

Cheers
Nice! I'm going to do the same on my original, don't know how i missed that one really

---------- Post added 10-07-16 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Wow, that's one of a kind!

I honestly don't feel like criticizing it, at all. It's great. I'm a sucker for starbursts so if I had been there with you, I'd have used the DA21 to bet a nicer effect around the Sun, but that's not critique, that's gear.

Wow.
I needed the 10mm in this case, the Sigma 10-20 is not the best in many aspects but that 10mm is such a useful length for landscape. I wish Pentax would make a 10-20 Ltd (something like the 20-40 Ltd. that I use 99% of the time)

---------- Post added 10-07-16 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
More of a speculation than a critique - can't help but wonder if it would benefit from a slight lifting of the shadows.
The Arch in this case starts too look too HDR for my taste if you boost the shadows too much (and this image is already a composite of 3 images to get the needed dynamic range).